PM saws are (NOT) Made by Baileigh

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I was looking for some information on my Baileigh cold saw this afternoon and happened to type in the number of a switch. Low and behold it came up in a manual for a Precision Mathews 315 cold saw. As it turns out PM cold saws are made by Baileigh. The features and manuals are identical down to the numbers and illustrations of individual parts. The Baileigh CS-315EU is identical to the PM CS-315 cold saw. The only difference I can see is the Baileigh model lists for $3225.00 while the PM model lists for $2399.00.

PM Cold Saw

Baileigh Cold Saw

On Edit: Since when do members, or even moderators of this forum get to edit other members posts. If you don't agree with what's posted respond to it with accurate contradictory information. The title was edited by someone to say the PM saws are (NOT MADE) by Baileigh, and the text was changed in the same manner.

Moderator Edit:
Misleading info edited. Please do not re-edit until you can provide valid proof of the statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Baileigh or PM make anything at all. They spec and import machines from factories all over China, assemble a manual, put on a brand decal, and market them to you. No coincidences here, just China's uncanny ability to make anything in a rainbow of quality levels indiscernible from the packaging. Is a PM tool accessory like the B&S knockoff dividing head any better than the ebay China dividing head? Hell if I know, but the price sure is different, even if everything appears the same. Baileigh has imported some good stuff over the years, and people are happy with PM's service (the homegrown product they may actually sell is service), but because of where the stuff comes from, what use is there in splitting hairs about what name is on the decal after it hit land over here? It's not like they made it themselves to give the name some weight.

Not to get sidetracked but that RongFu website is pretty decent. Good specifications on the machines as well as some fairly well written tech articles for those new to milling machines. Basic, but useful nonetheless.

According to the "Shop Tool News" Baileigh was bought out by JPW Industries in 2019. Up until that time their tools were manufactured in Manitowoc and Two Rivers Wisconsin. As we know today that could mean "assembled in the USA from internationally sourced parts".

I'm not sure where any of them are made today, but if you visit their website, they claim many of their tools are still made in the USA.

Last edited:
I don't have anything against Baileigh, they sell good equipment and always have. But they are not made in USA tools. This is Baileigh's Manitowoc site. It's a distro facility and a showroom, as seen in their "about Baileigh" video. Tiny parking lot, no industrial ventilation on the roof, no backup generators or stacks visible, no castings in the yard being seasoned. This is not what a factory building for machinery looks like.

I'll repeat myself for effect, Baileigh is a good company, but they still import their goods.

baileigh distro.jpg

On Edit: Since when do members, or even moderators of this forum get to edit other members posts. If you don't agree with what's posted respond to it with accurate contradictory information. The title was edited by someone
Moderators have every right (always have) to edit someone's post if needed, member's can not edit another member's post.

Please do not post false information, especially regarding one of our site sponsors. If you believe your info to be factual regarding "PM cold saws are made by Baileigh", please provide your source.

I was going to give @projectnut adequate time to provide a credible source regarding the matter. However this thread is already showing up in search engines so the OP will be edited AGAIN. Do not remove the moderator edits until you can provide evidence of your statement.

Based on the assumption that PM's cold saw are manufactured by Baileigh simply based on the 2 machines sharing a part with the same p/n is not credible info. Commonly with import machinery, many brands offer the same or similar models that are made by contract manufacturers. The Baileigh & PM cold saws (and other machinery) could very well be made by the same CM or may not. They could be identical or they can have different features as requested to be produced.

There are many brands offering cold saws with the CS-315 model number. This does not mean Jet, Bolton, Hafco, Eximus, and others are made by Baileigh

I am 99.999% sure the PM & Baileigh cold saws are not manufactured by Baileigh. QMT/PM is one of our site sponsors, so this can be easy. @qualitymachinetools @MikeWi Matt and/or Mike, could you please verify? (I believe Mike works for QMT?)

Attached is the primary reason why the OP was edited. It is showing up on search engines now showing the misleading thread title. Notice the search phrase & the immediate results. Not everyone searching the internet will click on links & read further details.
(Screenshot attached rather than embedded for the sake that only H-M registered viewers are able to see it)

@projectnut if you still do not agree as to why the OP was edited, please feel free to contact a Staff member to discuss. Thank you for your understanding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-110916_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-110916_Samsung Internet.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 75
Hard to argue with that example of unintended consequences, a community-facing forum, and respecting a paying sponsor who is suddenly getting bad press due to search engine crawlers. I know I often forget that nothing is private. Especially my opinions, I make a point to make those public from my own little soap box. It's easy to forget that we all represent the forum when it comes to search engine results.

Just replying since asked to clear it up. I have no problem with the OP, only doing this because I was asked to. Its best to have all the info out there for all sides.
Yes, our PM Cold Saws are made in Taiwan. (Taiwan, NOT China) However, Baileigh does not make our saws. But it looks like they also have their saws made in Taiwan from their listings online and they certainly look similar if not the same. But I run in to that with band saws, at least 5 companies in Taiwan make the same saw that looks like an Amada, but they are all just a little bit different.

I do not know their source, we are not given information about another company, the same as they would not be given information about what we do. I've been to the factory and they do produce saws for other companies in the world, but I did not see any Baileigh saws there at the time. There is so much more to just putting a label and making a manual, but thankfully Cold Saws are pretty basic, so not really a whole lot more with these.

We have certain models of machines and accessories that we own the production in Taiwan, so we do essentially make some items if you look at it like that, but we do not own anything with the cold saws, we just contract these out.

darkzero already pretty much said what I did, missed that, all cleared up. All good

Last edited:
Back