PM/Square Column Mill Lubrication Guide

lSherlockl

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Being relatively new to working with machine tools I went looking for good info on lubricants, how/where/how often and application methods. Basically I wanted a cheat sheet so I can be sure to keep my new machine happy and running well for as long as possible. I have no problems with regular maintenance just like to have it documented.

Call me crazy but I at least thought it would be useful, and perhaps good reference for others. I will intend to keep this top post updated as some of the blanks or questions I have get filled in and add in some pictures of the given areas oilers etc.

RF 45/PM 932 series of mills. For reference the PM932V is what started this list but should apply to most all of the square column bench top type of mills of the RF45 clone family of products. Also Mobile oils referenced specifically as that is what I found conversion charts for/easy to get in manageable qty's

Lubricant: ISO 32 Oil (Mobile DTE24)
QTY: few drops/short squeeze
Frequency: every day before use.
Application Method: Oil can/squeeze bottle
Purpose: Lubricates leadscrew bearings (on x axis left side no bearings its just a bushing surface)

20210516_173405.jpg

The large X axis leadscrew runs the length of the table can oil it via can or squeeze bottle run to one side oil and run to the other.
20210516_100716.jpg

Y axis leadscrew only visible if you remove the rear bellow covers and move table forward apply oil and run table in and out.

Lubricant: ISO 32 Oil (Mobile DTE24)
Frequency: ???? weekly/monthly if you get jitters in DRO readout its time to oil them
Purpose: Lubricates leadscrews/ leadscrew "nut"

Lubricant: ISO 68 Oil (Mobile DTE26)
Frequency: ????
Purpose: Lubricates leadscrew bearings? (is it just the leadscrew bearings or is it supposed to work its way to lead screws as well?)

Location: Z axis "transfer gears" (gears than translate horizontal to vertical rotation)
20210516_075023.jpg

Can access by removing bellows on the z axis or from the rear panel (on the 932V no rear panel but the large control box instead)

Lubricant: NLGL 2 grease (Super Lube NLGL 2 multi purpose synthetic grease with Syncolon), or Oil ISO 68 Oil (Mobile DTE26)
QTY: few drops/short
Frequency: ???? maybe annually if that
Application Method: grease gun, putty knife, fingers whatever works
Purpose: Lubricates the gears for the z axis handle, (still a thing even with z axis power feed the leadscrew will turn the handle shaft so its still a part interacting even if under much less loading)

Location: X,Y,Z Ways (machines with a built in one shot oiler use that instead)

20210516_173411.jpg

X axis has ball oilers on the 932, but just a large hole that feeds into the ways Y and Z still are manual application

20210516_075011 edit.jpg

For the 932 red outlines the surfaces that come in contact with the saddle these are what we cant to keep lubricated, Z axis is the same story just vertical the large flat top of the dovetail just needs to be oiled to prevent rust.

Lubricant
: ISO 68 Oil (Mobile Vactra 2, Mobil Vacuoline 1409 is the original Vactra 2 formula that has tackifiers, Z can use a heavier oil to stick to the vert surface if desired/available)

QTY: thin coat to the ways
Frequency: check/apply every day before use as needed.
Application Method: Brush/fingers for vertical surfaces? hit dovetail sloped surfaces /gib and bearing faces, run table in/out left right make sure all areas covered
Purpose: Lubricates ways for smooth operation and to avoid stiction between two flat metal surfaces will help prevent stuttering and ensure even smooth table movement.

Lubricant: ISO 68 Oil (Mobile DTE26), SAE 80W90 auto gear oil
QTY: ~3QT
Frequency: Annually (should consider a change after a break in period if new)
Application Method: Oil change, drain from bottom fill from top see manual)
Purpose: keeps the gears lubricated and cool so that the motor can turn the spindle smoothly/efficiently

Location: PDF Mech Box (for PDF Models only) (pic borrowed from this thread https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lubrication-questions-for-pm45-pdf.15267/)
1620846823317.png

Lubricant: "Heavy Oil" assuming that would refer to a ISO 68 Oil (Mobile DTE26) but maybe heavier
QTY: couple drops
Frequency: every time you use it
Purpose: keeps the gears lubricated and cool so that the motor can turn the spindle smoothly/efficiently

20210516_082149.jpg

remove the tension knob that engages the fine downfeed, then remove key and pulling two socket head cap screws will let you remove the fine downfeed unit, sealed bearings on the worm gear shaft but wormgear can be regreased with NLGL2 grease

Lubricant: NLGL 2 grease (Super Lube NLGL 2 multi purpose synthetic grease with Syncolon)
QTY: decent slather on the gears
Frequency: Maybe initially
Application Method: grease gun/fingers/whatever you want to use
Purpose: keeps the gears lubricated for smooth quill feed only used for the fine adjustment feed

Few other generic questions to be filled in so they can be updated above

Spindle area? I know i read a drop or two of ISO 32 Oil (Mobile DTE24) along the drawbar. Spindle I think given the lack of oilers is a packed grease situation?

I noticed all the leadscrew "nuts" if that is the right terms come from the factory slathered in a grease, from all that I read leadscrews should be oiled so I assume clean and only use oil on the leadscrew and that will work its way to the interface to the nut.

"Bare metal surfaces" various spots think like the top of the head, the table a few odd spots the tops of the dovetails that are not bearing surfaces. basically I assume a thin oil coat to prevent rust, anything particular? i.e. like a mineral oil or a lighter side of oils?

I think that covers about everything that one would lubricate, like I said once I have a few answers I will work on filling in or brushing up this post. For me Ill probably just make a little spreadsheet cheat sheet and color code my lubricants. Just to keep everything nice and organized/orderly in the shop.

I have no doubt that most of this will become second nature but coming into it fresh with a mill most of the way apart I thought it was a good exercise and maybe be good info for someone else so they don't have to thumb thru a few threads on the subject.

cheers!

EDIT added some pictures and more notes

Last edited:
For the dovetail ways and the bedways on the lathe, I much prefer Mobil Vacuoline 1409. It is the original formula of Vactra #2 which has tackifiers that make it more sticky and keep the oil from running off so you don't have to apply it as frequently. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and have shared that with friends. There's a discussion of it here.

For the dovetail ways and the bedways on the lathe, I much prefer Mobil Vacuoline 1409. It is the original formula of Vactra #2 which has tackifiers that make it more sticky and keep the oil from running off so you don't have to apply it as frequently. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and have shared that with friends. There's a discussion of it here.

gosh darn it once I thought I had my ducks in a row for lubrication, looks like time for another order :)

I'll update the top post and seek some out. Maybe ill work through my "new formula" Vactra #2 on the x and Y or maybe just the Y and use the sticky stuff on the Z and X where its either vertical or on the free hanging surface of moving parts.

Here’s a source for small quantities of 1409. Not cheap, but also not 5 gallons which is the minimum Mobil sells.

I think it was Dabbler on here that suggested STP oil treatment if you want a tacifier in the oil. That is what I did with some ISO32 AW hyd oil for my surface grinder.

Back