PM Vises & Chucks - Precision vs Ultra Precision?

The great thing about the 100 dollar range 4" Chinese vises, is that you are only out that much if it is junk. I have used several, have two, used within their limits they are fine, keep em clean, get a good parallels, whop it with the dead blow when seating work, you are good to go. I have had a Kurt for years and like it, but if I were hurting for $ I would get the 4" chuck from China and tune it up and make parts. Kurt sells cosmetically challenged vises at great prices on their website, that might be an option also.

Personally, I would not buy the swivel base. It eats up room in Z and you will not use it often.

For $120.00, I would rather have a lightly used Albrecht chuck.

You also have to consider tolerance stacking..So your vise is .001, then your chuck is .001, your mill is trammed to .001 and so on...You see how things add up quickly...

I bought the PM Ultra Precision chuck and like it very much. I really like the Glacern vise and hope to own one someday myself. I currently have a Magnum vise. I would suggest not skimping on a vise.

I vote for getting the highest quality you can afford. Buy good stuff then your done (the pain will subside..lol). Yes there are some things I can't afford to go "top shelf" so I go with the best I can afford.

Every time I try and go the cheep way out it costs me double, once paying for the cheep tool plus frustration, then again to replace it with a good one...

Good luck with your decisions!!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, this is all incredibly helpful! :encourage: Great plan on the rotary table, that guy was already on my long term list ;-) Thanks for saving me the $120!

Back