PM1030 stand options

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
HI everyone, I've been lurking here reading up for a little while and now I have a question (surely one of many to come).

I am looking to get a PM1030 to turn pens probabaly towards the end of summer given the backlog. I will be almost exclusively working in plastics of one sort or another but I know the 1030 could handle other materials without too much problem.

My question is not about the lathe itself but more what to put it on. I have seen some people post some amazing stands that they have built and, if I had a complete wood shop/welding setup obviously this would be less of a question. As it stands, the lathe is going to be my first "real" tool and is going to live in my basement. I have concrete floors that are over 100 years old, so I am assuming that I am going to need to have leveling feet or some other way to make gross compensation for the floor.
Beyond that, I was hoping I might get suggestions for stands from people who have actually used them. I know PM has their stand and it is nice because I know everything will fit up out of the box and, obviously, thei r cusatomer service is top notch (and local to boot). On the other hand, I have heard mixed reviews as to the quality of the drawers and such. I was also looking at just picking up a "workbench" with legs, stretchers, and a top and bolting the lathe to that. I have seen a few that are in the same neighborhood as the PM stand. So, any suggestions on options or things to definitely avoid or just opinions on things I should consider?
Thanks!

I have the PM stand for my 1022 and I am very happy with it.

I built my own stand for the PM1022 that I had. The amount of storage that can be had with a custom stand is significant. I utilized a large rectangle tube as a torsion box to mount the lathe to. I think I used a 10x2x3/16. It could be larger and thicker if you want. The torsion box system essentially insures that there is not twist in the lathe. The torsion box was welded to 1x2 tubing which comprised the rest of the stand.

I'm not sure if it was yours but, as I was reading all the past posts in this forum, I saw an absolutely drool-worthy torsion box setup. I only wish you weren't quite so far from Pittsburgh, otherwise I'd ask you to weld one up for me as I have no ability to do so. It sounds like maybe I need to start asking around to see if any of my buddies know any welders.

I built my own stand for the 1030. It is just the barebones for now but it works great. I used 2x2 tubing for The legs and a 1.5 mitered top. I plan to add drawers to the bottom. I made leveling feet with threaded rod and drops from the laser.
(Sorry I can’t post pictures)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just another source for some ideas: https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7iSP79HYBcX5xeL9

It's not the best design, but what I put together while I was waiting on the lathe to arrive.

This one is made from .120 wall 1.5" square tube. There are three cross braces under the chip tray, one for each of the mounting points on the lathe. There is enough twist available in the stand to allow bed leveling with the feet. The feet were made with 1/2-13 cap screws sticking out on the top side for convenience. It makes leveling the bed really pleasant, being able to watch the level and just move an allen wrench with the side of your foot. The Durham storage drawers and chuck/accessory cabinet were added after about a year. The added weight is welcome, everything feels quite solid.

I believe the nicest thing about a custom stand is you can build it at just the right height for you . Most of the factory ones tend to be on the short side.

Back