PM1030 tripping breakers on startup

r-mm

Registered
Registered
Has anybody had a problem with a PM1030V tripping breakers when first turned on? I originally had this machine on a 15 amp circuit shared with other things in the garage such as lighting. Today I put it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit that has an extremely short run from the panel. I was surprised to see it trip this as well. This never happens with the machine running. It only ever happens when first turning the machine on.

I have a lot of electrical consumers in my shop and never have trouble with false trips ever so I have confidence in the supply side and reason to suspect the machine.

I will admit to finding the DC motor control on this machine slightly odd the way you have to turn it on then turn the pot down to minimum speed in order to get it to rotate. I wonder if some aspect of the controls create some initial high current condition.

Does the circuit have a GFI breaker or plug?
I’ve read that DC motors and control boards are not good companions with GFI protected circuits.

No both breakers / receptacles are conventional and new. Breakers are GE to match the panel.

I have a PM-1030V on a shared 15A circuit, I have never had this problem of tripping the circuit breaker.

I do happen to have the lathe (and DRO) plugged in to a power strip with an On/Off switch.

When I want to use the lathe, I plug in my power strip; after that, I turn on the power strip.

9470C3D7-7CCB-48BB-A7F5-10DE2C05E81A.png

When I am finished working on the lathe, I turn off the lathe & DRO. Then I turn off the power strip. Finally, I unplug the power strip.

How many horsepower? Can the machine be configured for 240 volt operation?
-Mark

As a test, do you have anything else that takes similar current that you can plug into the same outlet?

And as suggested, check the connections at the circuit breaker and the outlet end for integrity.

No both breakers / receptacles are conventional and new. Breakers are GE to match the panel.
Does it do the same thing on both new breakers?

Tom

I will admit to finding the DC motor control on this machine slightly odd the way you have to turn it on then turn the pot down to minimum speed in order to get it to rotate. I wonder if some aspect of the controls create some initial high current condition.

My 1022 does not operate like that. So you are saying that you have to have the control all the way down when you turn it on? If that is the case, there is either something wrong or they changed how the controls operate. Mine is about 4 years old. I can start it at any speed.

Does the circuit have a GFI breaker or plug?
I’ve read that DC motors and control boards are not good companions with GFI protected circuits.

Sounds like a loose connection on the machine.
Depending when the house was built garages receptacles are now gfci per code. They can be flaky. I know my freezer in the garage is on one and it trips out of the blue 2-3 times a year.

Back