PM1030V chip control issues

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
My PM1030V s**ts where it eats. Any chips that find their way into the spindle work their way down the spindle bore to drop into the gear cover. If I use any compressed air near the chuck the chips end up in my change gears very easily.

I made a simple aluminum press fit spindle extension to carry the chips past the cover so I don't have to find the chip in my change gears every single time I run the lathe. It comes out easily in case I need more bore to work with.

20220616_165958.jpg

I can't be the only one taking 5 minutes to find the chip stuck in the grease on the change gears every so often.

20220617_085054.jpg

I am using this stuff on my change gears. I'm curious if anyone else uses this kind of spray on open gear lube.

20220616_163246.jpg

Last edited:
I use only oil on change gears, open gear lube attracts chips and makes a miserable job of changing gears, it is a solution in search of a problem.

That spray lube is like anti seize, it gets everywhere, and is hard to get off. :)

I use only oil on change gears, open gear lube attracts chips and makes a miserable job of changing gears, it is a solution in search of a problem.
It cleans off fine. I clean the gears before I hang them as I change them out. Little wd40 and a wrap with a rag as you wipe them off.

I had lots of problems with chips with just way oil.

Back