PM1127 motor seizes up when parting

I made a video. I sharpened the parting blade, re-zeroed the height, locked the carriage, paralleled the blade holder to the chuck, then tried parting a piece of 1018 round bar. I was hand feeding it slowly. I used to just use the auto feed on the slowest setting, but that makes it bind up more often.

To help to identify the cause, try making a heavy cut while turning. If you are able to stall the motor that way, then I would look at the motor for some possible damage. If it only occurs when parting, then I would look at at the tool setup. You can roughly judge the loading by motor slowing down. A more accurate way is to monitor motor current. A clamp on ammeter around one of the motor leads will work. You could also use the ammeter to compare each of the three legs of the motor. They should be essentially equal.

I'm going to try doing heavy cuts when turning. Maybe over 100 DOC

see if it'll seize up.

Interesting... I just did a .200 cut and the the motor never froze up, the clutch just kept on slipping.

The maximum cut I usually do is .050.

Just for the heck of it, I changed out the parting blade from a 3/32 to a new 1/8 Cobalt one and no seizing!

I tried parting using the slowest "C" feed rate, and it did it.

I tried parting on the "A" feed rate, the 2nd fastest and it managed to do it.

Crisis averted. I still can't figure out why the old 3/32 blade has anything to do with the motor seizing, considering it's in good condition and has been resharpened/leveled height.

I parted off a piece of 1/2" round hot rolled last night with a 1/8" carbide parting tool with no problems on my 1127(It's three months old). Really nice finish too.

I filled out the form on the site itself. Might've been bugged as I didn't even get a confirmation email like I usually do when I ask a question.

Back