Pm1127vf Head Alignment

alan morris

Registered
Registered
I own a 1127vf which I've had for several years. Usually when doing anything with any length I turn between centers so I didn't notice until recently that my machine is cutting taper. I used the Rollie's dad method and came up with .020" in 18.5 ", or about .001 per inch. I have either knocked it out or it was delivered that way, I don't know which. I want to remedy. The question is are the bolts securing the headframe to the ways accessible from inside the headframe or do I lift the lathe to access them from the bottom? Has anyone else tackled this issue?

Have you validated that your bed is level?

Note the bed doesn't actually need to be level, you just use level as a reference to ensure that the bed is co-planer.

PROBLEM SOLVED! I decided to have a look inside the headframe. I removed the front cover and inside there are two cap screws attaching the front side of the headframe to the ways, I believe that the screws for the far side of the headframe are between the motor and the ways coming up from the bottom, awkward place to get to without lifting the lathe off the stand. I loosened the two front bolts and gave a tug on my test bar which was sticking out about 2 feet. Convienient because the taper I was getting was smaller toward the headstock. I figured so what if I deflect the bar, the bar needn't be straight for the rollie method. Amazingly i was able to get the headframe to within .0015 in my 18.5" test length, really good for a hobby lathe. Hope this helps someone else.

Back