Pm1236 1-3 speed selection froze

Idk about changing anything. I’ll probably just pay to replace all that crap and sell it for Pennie’s on the dollar and get a real machine.

Gear sets shouldn’t be wear parts like brake pads unless something was wrong from the start. My issue, I don’t have a mill to make new key seats and all the other things I would need to do to braze and bore that gear cause I wouldn’t want to use the same spindle.
Makes sense. I’m a little sour about it, if you can’t tell.

sounds like you may need to put bronze sleeves in the gears.
Have you maintained the oil in the head? Changed the oil soon after break in?
Yes, religiously. Again this is an issue I complained about when I got the lathe because I was worried about the lash being improper and wearing gear teeth and the sides of the gears rubbing while running. I tried to do as much preventative care as possible.

Wouldn’t the brass wear down quickly?

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear the response you received from PM.
This forum consists of mostly positive comments from PM customer service.
Too bad.
I hope you get it fixed without breaking the bank.

I'm surprised to hear the response you received from PM.
This forum consists of mostly positive comments from PM customer service.
Too bad.
I hope you get it fixed without breaking the bank.
Is is because I was totally shocked by the quality of the machine I received during the lockdown. I asked them about every single expecting some sort of remedy. Admittedly, some of the issues I probably could have let go. Once I finally understood, these machines just aren’t good quality, and some are much worse than others I stopped. Then the threading issue happened. They said it was me because I sent one video doing something wrong during threading because I was trying to record and thread at the same time. I explained that even if I kept my half but locked on the right setting, when unlocked and reneged on the same number, it would cut in a different spot. They said you’re not engaging on the same number. Even with video proof that I was. I got ****** and went off on them.

I haven’t contacted them since and fixed every issue myself. I have ran the lathe maybe 5-10 hours since fixing that issue . Threaded stainless and mild without a problem since I fixed it.

I was turning a part for a very expensive machine last night. It had to be finished last night, and in the middle of doing that the speed selection completely seized. I can’t switch speeds, or even get the gears to mesh without the lid off.

My point is, it’s partially my fault for being a jerk, but I’m upset that there is so much praise for these machines online, but they aren’t reliable what so ever.

Last edited:
We want every customer to be happy, but at the same time, you need to be able to work with us and be patient. We only see what you show us, and we have to fill in the blanks. That's just a general statement directed at everyone in general. Precision Matthews is all about customer service. It's what we're known for, and personally, that's why I work here.

For your threading issue, that ticket ended with the tech asking you a question, and you never responded. He didn't tell you were were wrong, he just couldn't figure out the issue yet. Maybe you talked on the phone later and I wouldn't see that.

That's a great catch on the lock nut, it's right there in the manual too, but neither he or I for that matter had seen a case where that was loose. We would have got there though.

If you're willing to help us out with pictures and videos, so we can work out exactly what is going on, I'll cover the parts for you. We certainly don't want you to have to buy another machine!

I think, if this gearset is much more worn than the others you should be able to show PM and get some sort of remedy.
Remember, they have a presence here
Yes this is a mainland China machine and so forth, but still, if it's teed you off to where you want to junk it they should help
Oh, by the way
Just found an error in the 1236 manual: KM1 showed U1 and U2 shorted together when pulled- that's wrong
PM1236schemerr1.jpeg

Last edited:
Just found an error in the 1236 manual: KM1 showed U1 and U2 shorted together when pulled- that's wrong
Is your KM1 moving the chuck correctly for "normal" turning? I have seen 1 and 2 get swapped before.

I own a 1236. In trying to thread, I have issues locking the half nut at the proper time. I'm still pitiful at threading, but figured out better timing for engaging the lock nut. I know I need to practice more (lot's more).
Sometimes I'll have to rotate the chuck when changing speeds. Doesn't seem to be as serious a problem as you have though.
The 'wobbly gear' and ill fiting key may need to be addressed. Probably just remove all connected parts of this gear train and inspect, adjust/modify, and reinstall. It may be that the loose fitting gear caused premature wear on other parts, leading to today's condition.
I also own a PM940 mill. It's leaked oil from around the spindle for years now. I don't use it much (or the lathe) so have lived with it. It got the best of me and I finally took the mill apart. Probably a good thing as there was casting sand and other 'gunk' in the case. Having it apart also revealed the oiler for the fine downfeed was not dropping oil on any gears. All bearings arrived yesterday, so hoping to get back together soon.
It is kind od disheartening to have a newer machine need such work, but seems to be what we have to live with and learn about our machines at the price point we deal with.
I seem to remember someone else having issues and it turned out to be a ill-fitting key/oversized keyway.
Good Luck!
My PM1236 operates as I expect but the gear box is chunky which I expected over all I like the machine but I have learned that when changing the gearing I have to shift and rock the spindle back and forth a bit to get it engaged properly.

I know the machine is correct, it's the diagram that's got the error; U2 and Z1 are flipped
I don't own one, but neither the U pair or the Z pair should ever be shown as shorted together in forward or reverse
It wouldn't run

Last edited:
I know the machine is correct, it's the diagram that's got the error; U2 and Z1 are flipped
I don't own one, but neither the U pair or the Z pair should ever be shown as shorted together in forward or reverse
It wouldn't run
Well, that exposed how much I know about motors! Thanks, I'll pass that on.

Back