Pm1236 Carriage lock questions.

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
My carriage lock hex cap fastener, when tightened is crooked. Anyone else notice this? I tried taking it off and spinning it around the other way, but it won’t thread that way. The picture is with the carriage locked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 157
Mine wasn't like that. I would say first remove the SHCS & check to see if it's bent. Hopefully it is as that's an easy fix. If it's not check to see if the counterbore is flat at the bottom. Worse case scenerio is the threads being tapped crooked. Not sure what you mean by "I tried taking it off and spinning it around the other way, but it won’t thread that way".

I would ditch the SHCS anyway. I got tired of using a hex key which wasn't a big deal since it's the same size key that I use for my compound. I put a multi-position handle on mine, so much more convenient & quicker to use. You could easily make one but I choose to go with an adjustable handle so it can be moved to any position I want when locked if it ever gets in the way.

20210711_170309.jpg

Mine wasn't like that. I would say first remove the SHCS & check to see if it's bent. Hopefully it is as that's an easy fix. If it's not check to see if the counterbore is flat at the bottom. Worse case scenerio is the threads being tapped crooked. Not sure what you mean by "I tried taking it off and spinning it around the other way, but it won’t thread that way".

I would ditch the SHCS anyway. I got tired of using a hex key which wasn't a big deal since it's the same size key that I use for my compound. I put a multi-position handle on mine, so much more convenient & quicker to use. You could easily make one but I choose to go with an adjustable handle so it can be moved to any position I want when locked if it ever gets in the way.

View attachment 371842
What is schs?

it is a small plate with a lip on both sides, one bigger than the other. According to the manual the larger lip is supposed to be closest to the operator. I could not get the threaded hole to line up with the bigger lip closest to me. It lines up perfectly with the smaller lip closer to me. Part number 31

Attachments

• AE7E43D2-0424-4052-88BE-6EA60358EBEA.png
    AE7E43D2-0424-4052-88BE-6EA60358EBEA.png
    890.9 KB · Views: 148
SHCS is socket head cap screw.

Judging by the way the screw is tilted, that may be normal. The plate has 2 lips on it. One could be taller than the other or if not the surface it rests against on the carriage may have the variance. My guess is when it's tightened the plate pivots a bit to lock under the bed way causing the screw to look crooked. Perhaps mine did that & I never noticed it or it wasn't as noticeable as yours. I replaced the SHCS with a handle not long after I got my lathe.

It's probably within factory spec, but most likely one "lip" is a little too large and could be milled down a bit to make the clamp piece more parallel to the carriage when tightened
-M

I’m worried that It needs to be rotated 180 degrees, but I couldn’t get it to fit after hours of messing with it. I don’t want to disassemble the entire carriage, but it’s looking like the it may be necessary to clean everything up.

That’s how I put it in the way it is now. I used a long piece of wood to prop it up. It must be the right way then. It wanted to cross thread the other way.

View attachment 371842

Reading everything that I find on the PM-1236 while I wait for it to arrive in a few months...

I guess that I will have to wait for the machine to arrive before ordering that handle... From the photo posted on the PM site, looks like the DRO takes a lot of space to be able to get that handle installed... Unless that photo is outdated...

Lock.jpg

Back