Pm1340gt Is Up And Running :-)

Wood&Metal

Registered
Registered
IT WORKS!! J

Thanks to a lot of help and advice from folks on this forum, my PM1340GT is up and running. Based on comments and recommendations from Matt at Quality Tools as well as members of this forum I decided to go with the 3-Phase motor and VFD solution. I have to send out a huge Thank You to Mark Jacobs (MKSJ) for his exceptional support and detailed schematics and instructions for implementing a VFD solution. Mark was kind enough to offer me the option of purchasing one of his custom VFD wiring solutions and I have to say I am ecstatic with turn-key solution. I want to publicly thank Mark for his patience and willingness to answer all my questions and inquires with detailed and in-depth answers often including schematics and detailed instructions. Thank yous also go out to all the folks on this forum that respond quickly and never fail to come up with answers to even the most basic of questions.

Here are a few pics of the new lathe with close-ups of the upgraded features.

The new lathe parked new lathe, parked next to existing PM923PDF. (hey Airwolf, check out that shelf above lathe ;-)
Lathe and Mill 2.jpg

Close up of proximity sensor as well as new switches on control panel.

Proximity and Panel.jpg

VFD installed in enclosure mounted on left end of lathe stand, notice shut-off switch on front of enclosure.

VFD Enclosure 2.jpg

New control box with replaced relays and controls.

Control Relay Box 2.jpg

Additional views.

Back of lathe.jpg

Control Panel.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to use this awesome new toy...... :)

Wood&Metal,

Congratulations on your new set up.
Mark is assisting with my VFD setup now. Should have in about 3 weeks.

James

(hey Airwolf, check out that shelf above lathe ;-)

Nice set-up and great photos!

And Yes! That is far safer looking shelf now... would have hated to see photos of the "unintended consequences" of the prior shelf failing and dumping everything onto a spinning project... not to mention the bed ways themselves!

Hopefully my 1340 will be up and running in a few weeks. Only get a couple of hours each weekend to work on it.

is that a hall effect feed switch on the ways? any more info? I'm guessing it ties in to the VFD for threading or cutting to a shoulder, but I've never seen one before - I'd be very interested in knowing more about it.

Wood&Metal,

Congratulations on your new set up.
Mark is assisting with my VFD setup now. Should have in about 3 weeks.

James
You will LOVE the system Mark builds. He provides excellent instructions that make it a piece of cake to install.

I assume your referring to the proximity switch attached to the micro-stop just below the chuck. It is a safety stop proximity device designed and built by Mark Jacobs (MKSJ). It will shut down the machine if the carriage comes too close to the switch. I'm sure Mark can provide tons of details. I think it's a great addition to the lathe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ooh, that's really cool. So more of a "don't crash into the chuck" thing than an auto feed stop? I wonder if the repeatibility of the magnet/ switch is enough to use it as a feed stop, like those half-nut kick out devices some members have made on here.

Back