PM1340GT with a 3 jaw Pratt Burnerd 6" SETRITE

I took the plunge and ordered the DRO with the lathe. Check's already in the mail. I can always turn it off while I'm learning. Completely blew my budget, but I think I would've regretted it later had I passed up the opportunity. Now it's time to play the waiting game. This is gonna be more painful than a kid waiting for Christmas!!

The stock Taiwanese chuck that came with the PM1340GT is nicely machined, but mine had a TIR of 0.008" out of the box.

MKSJ, are you referring to the stock chuck or the chucks in the "preferred" package (or is that one-in-the-same)? Either way I'm going to be stuck for a while with whatever comes on the machine, but I might as well start budgeting now if that's what needs to happen.

I took the plunge and ordered the DRO with the lathe. Check's already in the mail. I can always turn it off while I'm learning. Completely blew my budget, but I think I would've regretted it later had I passed up the opportunity. Now it's time to play the waiting game. This is gonna be more painful than a kid waiting for Christmas!!

Our work is done here

:devil:

Our work is done here

:devil:

:fireman:

Followed by...

:beer mugs:

Believe me... most of us here have been victim to 'the work'.... yet we all made the decision to totally blow the budget.
And most of us are happy we did!

When you have it in your shop, set up, aligned, making chips, and not so clean anymore... you will forget all about the 'purchase' budget... the 'tooling' budget will be the issue... :)

I think his decision to buy the DRO was spot on, he won't regret that decision one bit.

I think his decision to buy the DRO was spot on, he won't regret that decision one bit.

I agree with you Coolidge... Just having a little fun with your image... :D

The stock PM1340GT preferred equipment package chucks (the base package does not include chucks), includes a 3 jaw 6" chuck made in Taiwan and the 4 jaw 8" independent. There is a bit of variability in the run out, my 3 Jaw TIR on a good day was a bit over 0.002", this is about what you expect for a non-adjustable type. The 4 jaw independent made in China, was out of balance (with the jaws in the same position) due to irregular castings, could not get it above 230 RPM without significant vibration. OK to start, but have since upgraded both chucks.

Got it. I always assumed (yeah, I know what that gets ya) that some kind of chuck is part of a complete base machine -- at least a basic, usable (if poor quality) 3-jaw. I opted for the preferred package thinking it was an upgrade to the "stock" chuck. Goes to show how clueless I am. Disappointed to hear that the 4-jaw is essentially junk. I could see myself using that one a lot. Guess I know what my next purchase is going to be as soon as my checkbook recovers a little.

It will be interesting to get some feedback on the Shar's Set-Tru type chucks, otherwise checkout Gator's chucks at http://www.tools4cheap.net/fuerda.php

I cleaned up and mounted the chuck on Saturday. I am thus far totally happy with it. The "fully machined" back plate isn't but that is fine since it needs to be trued on the machine. I used a known true dowel pin to dial it in, I can remove and rechuck the pin with < .0002 difference. I chucked up a piece of 1.25" ground 304 shafting and it was less than .001 out, so for me not much to complain about. The removable jaws fit very well on the ones in the chuck and much to my surprise use imperial screws. I didn't take a lot of photos but one with three jaws off and one holding a 3.5" piece of copper just to see how it worked on thin parts. I also tried a ring of 304 SS that was .625x.750 and about .2 wide, just to see how it would hold something short and thin. My only complaint is why I waited, this piece is worlds better than the 3 jaw that came with the machine.

2015-03-21 08.56.17.jpg 2015-03-22 10.39.31.jpg

Back