Pm25-mv With Igaging Absolute Dro

lcorley

Registered
Registered
I got a pair of Absolute DROs for my PM25. I'm working on the y-axis mount. It seems pretty tight to mount the scale up next to the saddle. I'm considering a horizontal mount on the top of the base using the hold-down bolts to perform double duty. What do you guys think?

regards,
Leon

vertical mount.jpg

horizontal mount.jpg

I decided to mount the scale on the side of the base.

side mount.jpg

This gives more room at the expense of a long linkage to the saddle.
y linkage.jpg

I made the upper bracket out of 1/8 steel to help rigidity. The lower bracket is 14 gauge. It's slotted behind the reader to adjust for height. The slot on the top allows adjustment for depth.

Here is how I mounted mine. It has worked out well so far.

image.jpeg

Your mounting setup looks to be sufficient. I did the same thing on my 727 in that I mounted the scale where yours is and then did a longer linkage. The only thing that I would suggest is adding a second screw to the upper part of the linkage where it mates with the saddle. This will prevent the linkage from pivoting on the single screw and possibly throwing your readings off by a few thousandths. Here is a pic of how I mounted mine. I kind of wish I had spent the money to get the absolute series. I have the standard igaging and they have worked very well so I don't have any actual complaints.
20150912_160949.jpg

Good input. I originally thought that there wouldn't be a need for a second screw at the saddle because the rest of the linkage would be rigid enough. But when I assembled it, a slight misalignment of the ruler caused enough drag to make the joint on the back of the reader slip. A second screw would have reduced that torque. Its working now, but I'll probably revise the saddle mount to provide more pivot-resistance.

Your mounting setup looks to be sufficient. I did the same thing on my 727 in that I mounted the scale where yours is and then did a longer linkage. The only thing that I would suggest is adding a second screw to the upper part of the linkage where it mates with the saddle. This will prevent the linkage from pivoting on the single screw and possibly throwing your readings off by a few thousandths. Here is a pic of how I mounted mine. I kind of wish I had spent the money to get the absolute series. I have the standard igaging and they have worked very well so I don't have any actual complaints. View attachment 118587

I have two screws with 4 grub screws used to align the racket correctly. It is actually a very simple process to remove and re-install the whole scale.

Trying to get back to this project. I'm calling the y-axis done for now. Here's how it turned out.
y-xais 640x480.jpg

On to the x-axis.
I plan to use install the x-axis scale on the front of the table, using the carriage stop provisions.

That is exactly how I installed my X axis. I used the groove in the front of the table and machined some small t-nuts for holding the scale in place. Then I used the holes from the center stop to hold the scale in place. I covered the whole thing with a piece of aluminum L-channel extrusion to keep it clean.

Back