PM25MV DRO resolution questions

javaduke

Registered
Registered
OK, so there's something I'm clearly missing but I couldn't find any answer in the manual. I expect the reading on the DRO to be the actual travel distance on the respective axis - i.e. 1 inch of X axis table travel should read as 1.000 on the DRO. So I set the resolution to the 1.0uom. What I see is that 1 inch of travel results in the 2.000 on the DRO. So In order to get the actual distance displayed I had to set the resolution to 0.5uom. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. Am I missing something or is it how it is supposed to be?

Another question is, how can I reduce the number of positions after the decimal point? My DRO currently displays 6 digits after the decimal point, and I really don't need that kind of precision, a 1/10000 of an inch would be enough. Is there any setting for that? I studied the manual but couldn't find any answer.

What I see is that 1 inch of travel results in the 2.000 on the DRO

It makes sense for x axis on a lathe . I'm sure somewhere in your manual will tell you how to change settings including your trailing 0s . Most are set for .0005 in shops , anything closer is utter nonsense . It isn't a jigbore . :)

If you are seeing 6 digits after the decimal you have the micron setting wrong. If you have 1um scales, set to 1um, if 5um scales then set to 5um. This should give you 4 digits after the decimal.

To get the X axis to read actual travel set the radius/diameter mode in settings to radius. Some DROs also have a R/D button which will allow you to switch back & forth quickly without having to make the change in the settings.

Edit: Oops, just realized this is a mill, no matter, the settings are the same. Just make sure you have the DRO set for Mill in the settings.

Hmmm, interesting, I just checked my settings, mine reads MILL 3 - which is what I expected, but I still can only get actual readings when I set resolution to 0.5um.
Don't think it has any radius/diameter setting - at least I couldn't find any mention of it in the manual.

It should. All 3 DROs that I've had (different brands) all had it. Which DRO display do you have?

Most inexpensive Chinese glass scales have a resolution of 0.0002 ( 2 tenths) which is 5um. To simplify a DRO counts ticks from the scale reader. Each tick is 0.0002" so setting the resolution to 5um lets the DRO know how far the axis moved for each tick.

I would ask Matt. I’m surprised it wasn’t already set up (or included a quick setup guide at least).

I have a PM-25MV with the PM-installed DRO which was purchased last June. My DRO resolution is set to 5um and there's a separate setting ("INCH DOT") which can be set to either 4 or 5 significant digits.

Back