PM30 Conversion Video - Control Panel

I got side tracked from the original post, but first off, nice wiring! Looks clean which is not a feat that many do well.

Take care with grounding and bonding. You may also wish to consider a perforated and grounded metal cage around that power supply. Toroidal transformers can be pretty noisy and I wouldn't want that right next to my 5V electronics.

I'm a big fan of connectors at the panel wall. Bit of extra effort to add, but makes dealing with the control panel much easier once installed!
Thanks for the advice! Noise is something I was wondering about - that is, wondering if I should be worried about. What's more is that the motor/driver cables I've got aren't shielded... hoping this doesn't bite me too hard.

Like this? I've also added in the primary coil fuses...

Edit: Yes, it is N.O. 220VAC relay
Yes.

If you put the relay coil (pins 0 and 1) after the fuses, you will not hear a relay click if one of the fuses is blown or missing so it will serve as an audible indicator.

Yes.

If you put the relay coil (pins 0 and 1) after the fuses, you will not hear a relay click if one of the fuses is blown or missing so it will serve as an audible indicator.
Ok! Thank you so much for your help! I'll be wiring this up tonight and testing. Stay tuned! :)

Thanks very much for all your help, guys! Especially Ariel/ahazi :) Everything works great. No more blowing fuses...... for now....

At some point in this video I call the secondary coil the "60 Amp" side - sorry. Correction: "60 Volt" side.

Next - moving on to bench testing Centriod Acorn/closed loop stepper motor bumping (hopefully).

I am glad it is working as I expected.

The reason that there is almost no delay is a proof that it wasn't the secondary that was loaded with capacitive load that takes time to charge through the 25 ohm resistor. It was the transformer inrush current that was very high when you turned it on around the "zero crossing" of the sine wave input (just as described in the posting from Mark and Be_Zero_Be.) It is a small delay (milliseconds) but enough to stop the circuit breaker from tripping. You can validate that it is working by measuring the voltage drop across the resistor, it should be 0.0 volt (be careful it is the high voltage side, don't touch it.)

I saw another posting about noise, not sure if it referred to acoustic or electrical noise. Electrical noise/magnetic radiation from toroid transformers is the lowest compared to traditional "E I core" transformers as all the magnetic field goes through the toroid core. Acoustic noise is dependent on vacuum impregnation of the coils and the transformer load and I would not be worried about it.

Good luck with your project.

Ariel

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Noise is something I was wondering about - that is, wondering if I should be worried about. What's more is that the motor/driver cables I've got aren't shielded... hoping this doesn't bite me too hard.

Many people don't have issues, but I have in the past. It is very difficult to troubleshoot noise problems, especially once things are built, so I typically go all out at the beginning of my builds.

Stepper motors aren't quite as noisy as say a motor on a VFD, but they still can throw a lot of noise. Unshielded cables act as antennas and radiate outwards. They shouldn't be run near any 5V wiring.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry too much about stuff outside your metal electrical enclosure, the noise won't penetrate to any significant amount.

Last edited:
Back