Pm30 mill motor replacement

Harold52

Registered
Registered
Looking for a replacement motor for my 10 yr. old pm30 mill. Waiting to hear back from PM. Looking for options. The motor specs are 1.1kw, 1.5h.p. 1 phase.
Thanks.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 102
Why do you need to replace it?
Looks like a DC brush type- new ones I think are brushless
-Mark

It's brushed. Got extremely hot to the touch, kept tripping the 20a circuit breaker. Took the cover off and found some plastic chips at the base of the motor. The control board also got very warm. Let it cool over night, when I turned it on the speed display reads 0 regardless of knob setting. Had I not found the misc chips I would have thought it was the controller.
Same thing happened to my 1127 lathe motor last year, only the chips were metal. Also damaged the speed controller.

Have you thought about 1.5 hp 3ph North American 56c TEFC and using a KBAC 24D VFD on 120vac? I will last a lot longer than those Chineseium motors ac or dc. Just saying.
CH

I'm receptive to any motor, just didn't know what would work. Is it a direct replacement?

I‘m not sure but most likely it will need some fitting, of a motor mount, and the VFD mounting. I’ll beat any China replacement when done. Is the PM30 belt drive?
CH

CH

Not a direct fit. The bolts go thru the motor mounting plate into mill, and the size is too big.
The original motor is a gear drive w/14mm shaft. Motor is 4 1/4" dia x 7 3/4" long, hole spacing is 3 1/2".
The speed controller looks about the same dimensions as the kb125

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 104
Thought I’d up date. No luck finding a motor replacement. I found 2 ads on Alibaba that advertised the original motor, but no response.
I contacted PM, who contacted the manufacturer. At first the manufacturer stated that the mill could be up graded to their newer brushless set up, so I ordered it. After 4 weeks waiting for the parts the manufacturer states they have no idea when the parts would be shipped, so I canceled the order.
My current plan is to remove the table & head motors and toss the machine. I’m looking into a Weiss mill. The other mills in my budget all seem to be on back order.
PM’s customer service was great. Always a quick response, so I appreciate that.

Harold, I’m up in Colorado Springs if your just going to toss the machine I maybe interested in making a deal for your machine? I’m thing a Weiss motor of the1100 watts will fit it. You can contact them direct. I bought a 1100 watt motor for my G0704 CNC conversion, how ever it died some time ago.
CH

Last edited:
Back