PM727M X-Axis Nut Alignment

clansd

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I've had to disassemble my PM727M mill for transportation and have had little trouble reassembling it in my home shop. However, the X-Axis lead screw nut is very difficult to align correctly with the lead screw itself.

Since the lead screw alignment is fixed with pins, I have to set the nut in place to match. At the moment, I've got only one hand wheel/support attached and the X-Axis is butter smooth through the range of motion. However, when I install the second hand wheel/support, the hand wheel is much harder to turn - it's binding somewhat, enough to cause a lot of wear on the nut.

I have no idea how to go about adjusting the alignment of the X-Axis nut, since it's held in place with two bolts which are blocked by the table casting. I think there might be enough room for a custom Allen wrench to wiggle in there, but that's not super attractive to me. How might this be done from the factory?

Thanks,
Chris

Silly question but here goes, you removed the table I'm assuming, you didn't by chance turn it 180 when it went back on? That would be in reference to the lead screw supports etc. Also is the gib in the correct way?

This is a WAG but may help. I had an issue when reinstalling my 727M table. The X table locks have pins with one slanted face in the holes that press against the gib. When I removed my table the pins fell out (unknown to me at the time) and lodged between the X table dovetails and gib therefore skewing the table. I finally got it straightened out after discovering the 2 pins.

Hi all,
I've had to disassemble my PM727M mill for transportation and have had little trouble reassembling it in my home shop. However, the X-Axis lead screw nut is very difficult to align correctly with the lead screw itself.

Since the lead screw alignment is fixed with pins, I have to set the nut in place to match. At the moment, I've got only one hand wheel/support attached and the X-Axis is butter smooth through the range of motion. However, when I install the second hand wheel/support, the hand wheel is much harder to turn - it's binding somewhat, enough to cause a lot of wear on the nut.

I have no idea how to go about adjusting the alignment of the X-Axis nut, since it's held in place with two bolts which are blocked by the table casting. I think there might be enough room for a custom Allen wrench to wiggle in there, but that's not super attractive to me. How might this be done from the factory?

Thanks,
Chris
Hey Chris - did you ever figure out the best way to align the lead screw nut?

Back