PM728 $11 Way cover fix

GB21

Registered
Registered
Finally fixed the floppy Z axis way cover. I was going to just purchase bellows from McMaster like others have done but decided to go another route. I picked up a $11 roll up blind off amazon cut it down and riveted the rubber to it. I then 3d printed a holder and clamp for the bottom and y axis. Works great.

Attachments

• 20211024_143441.jpg
    20211024_143441.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141
Looks great, and your solution works better for the z axis than the bellows. I don’t understand how you made it though. Can you post a link to the HD item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    191.8 KB · Views: 117
I hate trying to clean the debris and oil out the folds in mine. I have a 940M.

I like your approach as long as the spring roller is not in the way. It should fit as it is probably smaller than the normal folds. I have a couple of very old blinds where the original paper is gone. I was thinking about replacing the paper with Teflon sheet rather than rubber. They sell thin teflon that is used for thermal transfer or to line an oven or bake sheet liners to catch the grease, oils or preventing sticking. It would clean easily and be resistant to oils. It is also high temperature. It comes in various lengths but is probably made in very long rolls. Here is a 24" version. https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Teflon...Y,B092M4T5LW,B08T7ZPW8L,B07F8TZZ4N,B074S8SNZN

It would be nice to find a little thicker version. It exists as I have some old "pure" Teflon sheets, but it is too small for this application and I no longer know where it came from. It is tough, slick stuff.

I agree with your move to replace the polyester/vinyl that comes with the shade. Probably does not hold up to oils very long and might break due to debris hitting it.

I suppose one could also use a very thin, fine stainless screen.... think filter paper. I have a nice piece of it,that was in the house when I purchased it, but I have no idea where it came from originally!

Your approach might also work to keep my lathe ways clean!

Dave

I thought the bellows on the 940 looked decent. Below is a video of what I was dealing with. Sticking my arm behind the spindle almost every tool change. When moving the x axis it would also scoop the chips onto the ways and ballscrew.

That is the first time I have ever seen that teflon sheet. I think its a great idea it would keep the weight down and more importantly decrease the size of the roll. With the rubber rolled up the box needs to be about 2" for it to fit. As far as being out of the way It is still above the spindle so I have plenty of clearance.

NkTaio9.gif

Reactions: B2
Wow, both attachment images are pretty ugly and a similar problem... in the way!

Yes, the 940 has bellows that so far have held up ok. No holes... However, the end clamping mechanism is pretty wimpy. I just get tired of trying to clean out the folds....especially the oil. Occasionally I need to cut a non-metal material (plastic, wood, etc) and when these fine debris get in the oil they stick and built up.

Back