PM833T Accessory Questions

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking to get a PM833T and have a few questions:
1. What size milling vice would you recommend?
2. What size dividing head BS-0, BS-1, BS-2?
3. Power feeds: How hard are they to install?

Any other feedback / advise?

1. I use the 440 Shars vice. It opens to 6" which is more than some 5" vices. I've not had an issue with it being too small. I did buy oversized jaws.
2. I have a 6" Super Spacer. Way too big. Too heavy to want to move regularly.
3. They are not too difficult at all. I did have PM install the DRO.

Looking to get a PM833T and have a few questions:
1. What size milling vice would you recommend?
2. What size dividing head BS-0, BS-1, BS-2?
3. Power feeds: How hard are they to install?

Any other feedback / advise?
1. Kurt DX6. Great vise with giant opening. No regrets for spending extra $$$
2. none yet
3. Power feeds are fairly easy, just follow the instructions in the mill manual. X axis is a little easier, Z axis requires drilling a shaft so make sure you have the drill/tools to do it before you start.

1. Vice, I've got a 6" Kurt, great vice but maybe kind of large for that mill. How much would it hang out the back side of the table? That would limit you Y travel. On a knee mill I can just move the head in & out. I've never had a swivel base.
2. Never had a dividing head, I have an 8" rotary table, too small sometimes. I have an 8" 3 jaw for it but it makes it really heavy to move. The BS2 is a full blown universal, neat machines but I've never needed one. PM's price seems cheap $1050+tx. Very heavy. Complex to set up? Their info has two different size chucks listed as standard depending on where you look?? 6 or 8"
If you don't need the universal the semi universal is a lot cheaper, probably a lot easier to handle, 6" chuck. If you ever use them in the vertical position like a rotary table they will take a lot of your available Z axis. The BS1 would be preferable if I was buying.
3. X-axis easy, Z on a bench mill no idea. I installed one on my knee mill. Would have gone easy had it come with the proper shaft. I had to make a shaft to fit my Jet mill. Sure beats hand cranking the knee up & down.

Power feeds are relatively straight forward. Definitely worth it in my view.

Ultimately, I bought the 833T last week. I ordered it with the Homge 5" vice, and X/Z power feeds. Still looking for info on dividing heads for this one.

I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a new PM dividing head a while back. I didn't realize it's a BS–1 until I received it though. Big heavy sucker, especially for an Old Guy. ;)

I would have much preferred a BS-0. I have a PM-935TS, and it will fit, but I'm not looking forward to lifting this thing on and off the table.

I just compared the two setups and the BS-1 is almost 2x the weight of a BS-0. If you'd like to get rid of the BS-1 let me know.

I just compared the two setups and the BS-1 is almost 2x the weight of a BS-0. If you'd like to get rid of the BS-1 let me know.

The BS-1 has never been used. Not yet. If I could trade it for a BS-0 I would do it. I've considered trying to sell it, but the shipping would be very expensive and I no longer have the original heavy boxes it came in. I do appreciate the offer though, thanks. :)

Attempting to install the z axis power feed today. Not sure where to locate the stop bar relative to the z DRO bar. Can anyone post pics of the PM833T power feed stops? Much appreciated.

Back