Pm932 Base Mod

I was thinking of grinding a couple of drain slots into the outer lip on each side of my mill. I like your idea of filling the coolant trough better. Nice job!

Tom S

Coolidge... Thanks.

It looks really good... definitely not perfect but that wasn't my objective.

Before I filled the troughs I made sure the base was level so the 1st layer of epoxy would settle that way. In order to apply the 2nd later of epoxy, to create the slopes, I had to do one side at a time. I did two things... I mixed the epoxy a little longer to make it a tad bit heavier... and I tilted the machine using the levelers. To do the right side of the base, I raised the right side and lowering the left side. This helped keep the epoxy at the correct slope. For the left side, I did the exact opposite.

Thanks Tom

I considered the exact same thing but had no clue if grinding slots would weaken the casting enough to crack. And I had to remove the paint/filler in the troughs anyway, so at that point I decided it would be best to just redo the entire area and create a slope. But going that route took more hours than I care to admit. Then there is the cost... lots of epoxy... paint matching and putting it into spray cans... and a more expensive two part clear coat that comes in a single can. But I'm anal... and considering I thought it was fun, also sick. :wink:

Thanks Tom

I considered the exact same thing but had no clue if grinding slots would weaken the casting enough to crack. And I had to remove the paint/filler in the troughs anyway, so at that point I decided it would be best to just redo the entire area and create a slope. But going that route took more hours than I care to admit. Then there is the cost... lots of epoxy... paint matching and putting it into spray cans... and a more expensive two part clear coat that comes in a single can. But I'm anal... and considering I thought it was fun, also sick. :wink:

Good point about weakening the casting. I'll stand on my head and look at the underside of the base casting.

Tom S

Was browsing and figured I would just give an update. It's been 4 years since the above modification and everything still looks perfect. I wondered back then if this project would be worth the time and effort, let alone the extra cost for using epoxy and a high end clear coat, and no doubt it was. The base wipes clean every time :)

Back