PM932 DRO install.

av8ter

Registered
Registered
After having this mill for a few months and making a lot of parts on it I have come to the conclusion that I'm tired of counting turns on the dials. When I sit down to run a batch of parts I will spit out 100-200 at a time. If I miss-count by one turn on 38.7 turns of the X axis I ruin a whole batch if I don't catch it early on. So, I bought a Chinese DRO. When looking for mounting ideas I didn't find much for a 932 so I will post what I did on mine. I won't go into aligning and trueing it all as there is lots of that info out there.

Here is the unit mounted on the right side of the column. Nothing fancy here.
IMG_20210214_205017499.jpg

I'm not real thrilled with the arm that came with the kit as it's really thin and can't be tightened enough to keep the head in place while pushing buttons with one hand. I have a mill (LOL) so I will make a two arm system that will bring the head out enough to the right to clear the quill levers and the second arm to bring it forward some.
IMG_20210227_164212505.jpg

For both the X and Y axis I built a couple mounts out of 1 inch aluminum angle. The mounts in the kit just wouldn't do what I was after.
IMG_20210216_204559340.jpg

The X scale was just mounted to the back of the table the normal way except I used a couple 1/8 spacers to move the scale out a tiny bit so I didn't have to remove the ball oiler.
IMG_20210217_184908952_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210217_184928618.jpg

IMG_20210217_184917237.jpg

For the Y axis I used a piece of 3/8 x 2 aluminum flat bar. I cut a round out of it for the feed gear cover to clear and mounted the scale to it.
IMG_20210217_184816508.jpg

Since the base is angled some I had to custom bend the mount to get the reader to fit square. I got it on the first try. Not going to try that again as it would take an hour to do that again!!
IMG_20210217_184833753.jpg

I have put the stock Y way cover back on for now until I decide on just what I want to use. I cut a couple little spacers to set the cover back to clear the scale.
IMG_20210227_153723652.jpg

Way cover back on with the spacers.
IMG_20210227_163550274.jpg

Here it is with the table all the way back to the column. I basically lost an inch and a quarter of travel. The thickness of the spacers I put in. So far I've never worked with the table that far back So I'm ok with it.
IMG_20210227_163834485_HDR.jpg

Scale covers on and ready to rock.
IMG_20210228_120020216.jpg

That's it. For those that haven't invested in one yet, it is well worth the couple hundred bucks it cost. I should have just ordered the mill with it.

Looks good. I will definitely get a DRO for my mill eventually. What kind of parts are you making with your mill?

Nicely done. I will be following suit very soon installing one on my RF31.....probably a very similar unit as yours.

Nice work!

Looks good. I will definitely get a DRO for my mill eventually. What kind of parts are you making with your mill?
Thanks. I make parts for an aluminum boat manufacturer I work for. I make a spacer block that spaces the wiper motor away from the windshield frame, a bunch of pipe coping for handrails, a rod that hooks port to starboard wipers, turn a couple sizes of pipe for hose connections on my PM1236 etc.

Nicely done. I will be following suit very soon installing one on my RF31.....probably a very similar unit as yours.
It is just an E Bay unit. I went with 2 axis as my 932 has one of those little caliper type DROs on the quill and didn't think I'd ever use one on the column. If I end up needing one on the column I'll get another scale for it and get a 3 axis head. Then I can put this one on my lathe minus a scale on the compound.

How do you intend to pump way oil into the ball oiler on the back of the table? I saw (can't remember where or who ) someone with a 932 drilled a hole in the back of the table to intersect the ball oiler port. Then he capped off the original hole for the oiler and relocated the oiler to the edge of the table using copper tubing. It was an excellent way around this issue.

How do you intend to pump way oil into the ball oiler on the back of the table? I saw (can't remember where or who ) someone with a 932 drilled a hole in the back of the table to intersect the ball oiler port. Then he capped off the original hole for the oiler and relocated the oiler to the edge of the table using copper tubing. It was an excellent way around this issue.
For now I use a brush from underneath to oil that way. My plan is next time I pull the table for any reason (or when I get a brake in the action) is to drill straight up past the existing oiler and put another above the scale. It is mounted pretty low and has left me an ample amount of room above it. It will just need a little notch in the scale cover to get to it. But, as much as I use it a one shot might be a good idea.

Back