Pm932 Removing Worktable

What I thought would be no problem ended up being a pain and I can't figure out where to go from here.

My plan was to leave the table on the saddle and remove them both at the same time with the help of a neighbor. I removed the Saddle GIB and Screws, and the Y-Axis Lead Screw and Bracket. I don't recall exactly what else I removed but there was nothing left holding the saddle in place. I thought lifting the Saddle sideways at an angle would disengage the ways, but I was obviously wrong. So we moved the saddle forward but it won't slide off the front because the nut for the Y-Axis Lead Screw is in the way. And I can't remove it because the bolt(s) are under the Table.

Not to be deterred, I removed the same/similar items that keep the table in place only to have the same problem. This time the bolts holding the nut for the X-Axis screw come from the bottom and I'm not sure how to get to them without a wrench with eyes and the flexibility of a contortionist.

At this point I'm going to email Matt since it was his idea to remove the table to begin with, but in the meantime if someone knows where I went wrong please let me know. And I'm only referring to the lathe... my ex already told me where I went wrong with everything else in life many times. Don't want to go there again. :)

You are almost there! Remove the X axis hand wheels and lead screw support brackets and remove (unscrew) the lead screw. This will allow you to slide the table off of the saddle. You can then get to the Y axis nut bolt so you can remove the saddle.

Tom S

Thanks Tom... that worked. Removed the Table... removed that one hidden bolt for the Y-Axis Nut... and the Saddle came right off. That will make things a lot easier when moving day arrives.

I guess that finishes up this thread. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I appreciate it!

Thanks Tom... that worked. Removed the Table... removed that one hidden bolt for the Y-Axis Nut... and the Saddle came right off. That will make things a lot easier when moving day arrives.

I guess that finishes up this thread. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I appreciate it!

Glad it worked out. Good luck with your new mill.

Tom S

Took the plunge and took the table off my new 932 today...took Matt's advice as well and took the complete DRO off all axis' and removed the table after...with the wife's help we managed to get it off in two sections without much issue once we figured out how to get it off...

Glad i found this thread because it was a huge help!

Here's a start...had to drive the spring pin out of the power feed coupler on the LH side of the table...then the LH flange for the X axis leadscrew had to be tapped a few good times with a rubber mallet to get it free from the table (two alignment pins keep it square and secure)...
20171015_173316.jpg

Once i did that, we removed the gid screws and removed the gib for the X axis...this allowed enough freedom to move the table all the way to the right and then slide it off the leadscrew nut and remove the table...its heavy as sin so be prepared...maybe 60-70lbs it felt like...

Removing the saddle was the same process only we took out the M8 1.25x45 cap screw and slid the saddle off the base...pretty easy once you see it done after the fact...i had to remove all of my DRO scales and such first...took us about three hours total but it was a great learning experience...
20171015_170515.jpg
20171015_170505.jpg
20171015_170453.jpg

Taking a new machine apart gives me a better mental picture of how the thing is put together and how it functions. I would even go so far as to say that even if the machine doesn't need taking apart, it should be, just so the new owner knows how things work.

It is much easier to diagnose issues later if you have a basic understanding of how the machine works normally. :)

Nice looking mill BTW. :encourage:

Back