PM932V

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have the PM932V mill. How do you like it? Also does it have a gear head oil bath gears in the head?
CH

I have one and except for some cosmetic issues I like it. I just finished installing X &Y DRO scales, touchDRO, and a DIY motor lift for the head. There are no gears in the head (and no oil bath), just a ribbed belt and two step pulleys to switch between the two speed ranges. Have only used it a few times and would buy again. Ask more specific questions and I'll try to answer.

I have one and except for some cosmetic issues I like it. I just finished installing X &Y DRO scales, touchDRO, and a DIY motor lift for the head. There are no gears in the head (and no oil bath), just a ribbed belt and two step pulleys to switch between the two speed ranges. Have only used it a few times and would buy again. Ask more specific questions and I'll try to answer.
Have these mills been discontinued? Does the V module have a power down feed? I don't see them for sale on the PM website. I have a regular gear head but can't stop the constant oil leaks from the head. I'm thinking real hard about a PM 835 V as a replacment. Or a used Bridgeport mill, just having a hell of a time finding one here in Colorado, or even near here. Thanks for your reply.
CH

Have these mills been discontinued? Does the V module have a power down feed? I don't see them for sale on the PM website. I have a regular gear head but can't stop the constant oil leaks from the head. I'm thinking real hard about a PM 835 V as a replacment. Or a used Bridgeport mill, just having a hell of a time finding one here in Colorado, or even near here. Thanks for your reply.
CH
I have the PM940V-PDF the big brother to the PM932V. I do not see the PDF or power down feed option on the site now but I know it was offered, you might call and ask John about it. My machine is a very good machine, it doesn't have a gear head thus no gear oil.

I have the PM940V-PDF the big brother to the PM932V. I do not see the PDF or power down feed option on the site now but I know it was offered, you might call and ask John about it. My machine is a very good machine, it doesn't have a gear head thus no gear oil.
I have not even thought of the PM 940, I seem to remember Clough42 had some problems with his 940. I maybe wrong about that. Ì think the Taiwan machines are much better machines than the Chinese junk. I bought the PM12x36t lathe and haven't had a single issue with it. Great machine.
CH

I have not even thought of the PM 940, I seem to remember Clough42 had some problems with his 940. I maybe wrong about that. Ì think the Taiwan machines are much better machines than the Chinese junk. I bought the PM12x36t lathe and haven't had a single issue with it. Great machine.
CH
I have heard from a number of people that bought the gear head version PM940M that had issues, this is the mill Clough42 has. I Have the PM940V-PDF which is a different animal. I had some issues with mine but they were preference issues, not machine issues. The examples of these are the mud flap on the front of the machine, the location of the DRO display and the x-axis locking screw and I changed these issues for my personal preference. My machine has 2 ranges low is 65 to 300 RPM then 300 to 5000, I have used my 3" face mill in Aluminum to hog out cuts as deep as .200" full width without issue, plenty of power, Steel it generally cuts good at .100". You have to be aggressive with the PDF lock but I do not find that to be an issue. I believe the Taiwanese have better attention to detail and finish, but the PM940V that I have is a loaded machine, the castings have a little more filler than I like but once I get past the filler I like the machine just fine, I have a 9"x40: table with hardened ways 12" Y movement, 26" X movement with power feed and 21" table to spindle clearance with powered head feed and I can gain a little more in the Z and X if I pull the power feeds for a special occasion, and I bought it with an installed DRO, you'll not find that work envelope for the price point in the Taiwan machines.

Hey thanks guys Just ordered the PM835tv mill tired of messing with leaking bgear head chinese junk. Plus a few goodies to make preform above and beyond.
Again thanks.
CH

Back