PM’s new MagXact MX-200L DRO?

I checked mine, at 10 IPS it travels 10" in 1 minute, and 254 mm. The display for feed rate in metric shows ~4.2 mm/sec. 254/60 = 4.23.
Interesting. No idea why mine shows 20 and moves 6.5"

I am guessing you meant 10 IPM and not 10 IPS?

I checked mine, at 10 IPM it travels 10" in 1 minute, and 254 mm. The display for feed rate in metric shows ~4.2 mm/sec. 254/60 = 4.23.

Corrected to IPM. Always seem to have issues with my computer changing things, or maybe it is just my old brain playing tricks on me.
I guess mm/sec makes more sense so it isn't some crazy large number. I don't usually work in metric so I'm not familiar with those feeds and speeds. Also seems like christians numbers match pretty well 20 ipm =~8.5 mm/sec.

I guess mm/sec makes more sense so it isn't some crazy large number. I don't usually work in metric so I'm not familiar with those feeds and speeds. Also seems like christians numbers match pretty well 20 ipm =~8.5 mm/sec.
Unfortunately the table only moves 6.5" in a minute...Crazy. Here is a video I uploaded showing 10.0 feed rate I just took and uploaded to YT. Table moves 3.3ish inches...

Unfortunately the table only moves 6.5" in a minute...Crazy. Here is a video I uploaded showing 10.0 feed rate I just took and uploaded to YT. Table moves 3.3ish inches...

So the scale on the table says 6.5" after a minute? And the DRO days 3.3 inches? And the feed rate says 10 inches a minute?

So the scale on the table says 6.5" after a minute? And the DRO days 3.3 inches? And the feed rate says 10 inches a minute?
No. For this video I lowered my feed rate from 20 (moved 6.5") to 10 so I could apples to apples what Mark posted.

At 10 the table moved 3.25 ish inches. At 10 Marks moved 10" We have a 3x disparity.

I have submitted a call to PM, and they are in talks with the factory on the behavior. My table is moving precisely 1/3 the distance that the feed rate is indicating it should. The MEASUREMENTS are accurate. The feed rate calculation is off.

All of the garbage I posted above was me conflating spindle speed with feed rate...please forgive the noob...At this point I am thinking there is something up with the config that tells the DRO how to factor feed rate based on simple encoder step counting, or how it totals this on the fly.

Mark, Thanks much for running the test on your EL-700. Made me lose the red herring mentality and re-assess the problem I am having.

You might check that the DRO is configured in the mill setting, almost sounds like if a factor of 3 might be pi/circumference or some other calculation. You also can do a factory reset on the DRO, and then set it to mill and check the scale resolutions. You might also check the Y axis, the feed by default is whatever axis is moving.

You might check that the DRO is configured in the mill setting, almost sounds like if a factor of 3 might be pi/circumference or some other calculation. You also can do a factory reset on the DRO, and then set it to mill and check the scale resolutions. You might also check the Y axis, the feed by default is whatever axis is moving.
It is set in Mill config. All axis are reading the same.

20 inches per minute should be 20 inches per minute, cutter diameter and rpm only come into play when setting feed per tooth

I have submitted a call to PM, and they are in talks with the factory on the behavior. My table is moving precisely 1/3 the distance that the feed rate is indicating it should. The MEASUREMENTS are accurate. The feed rate calculation is off.

All of the garbage I posted above was me conflating spindle speed with feed rate...please forgive the noob...At this point I am thinking there is something up with the config that tells the DRO how to factor feed rate based on simple encoder step counting, or how it totals this on the fly.

Mark, Thanks much for running the test on your EL-700. Made me lose the red herring mentality and re-assess the problem I am having.
Have you heard anything from PM? I just got MX200 DRO's installed on my mill and lathe. And they both have the feed rate displaying 3X the actual value. So I don't think yours is an isolated experience.

Back