Pocket Grappling Hook

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I copied this idea from someone online (don't remember who) but thought it would be fun to make. I think there are many uses for this. My plan is to take it fishing with me so I can get it stuck trying to retrieve other things that got stuck.IMG_0682.JPG

--Chip IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG

Chip, a nice piece of work! When I saw the first picture, I was wondering how big your pocket was. lol Then I saw the take down and storage feature.

I would be afraid to use that nice piece of workmanship to retrieve lures from snags where I fish. Some of them are pretty big and I fear I would have to leave the grapple attached once it dug in.

I actually contemplated making one of my own but was trying to work out how to provide a release mechanism.

Neat design and great execution.........and a great addition to your Batman belt :grin big:

What materials did you use?

You maybe should'a made two, just in case the first does get irretrievable snagged.

-brino

This does look interesting though. It just depends on what your are going to catch it on. In one place in Alaska I watch someone pull in a bed spring with a grapple. Where I get snagged it would do little good, unless I could throw it out at least 50 yards, then be accurate enough in fast moving water to get to the same spot that my lure was. I found that there is a 12inch steel pipe running through the area and fish get stuck around it. I have 80 lb test line that often breaks on it. like I said it does look interesting. What is it made of? Seems the chamber might need some vent holes to drain the water and let it vent moisture.

That is cool man! Well done.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Neat design and great execution.........and a great addition to your Batman belt :grin big:

What materials did you use?

You maybe should'a made two, just in case the first does get irretrievable snagged.

-brino
I used stainless on the spikes and aluminium for everything else. Probably need to make one from high grade steel for my Batman Belt as I'm afraid this one couldn't handle my weight. At least that was my wife's recommendation :(

--Chip

James Bond eat your heart out!
Nice work!

Nice job.
But as others have said where I fish it would get stuck on the rocks .

It would be handy as a throwing gaf for the really big offshore fish.
Jethro3.0

I keep 50 feet of Kevlar spear fishing line in my bag which would be perfect for this and would store in the body as well

Back