Pointing Irons

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was asked by a friend and colleague recently if I could make a custom pointing iron for him. He’s a stonemason specializing in architectural restoration and conservation, and pretty fussy about his mortars and joints. The “new world style” of beading tools for lack of a better description just don’t do it for him so he wondered if I could build one based on a traditional Scottish pattern.

The idea here with this style of iron is that the straight, broad blade can be drawn along a straightedge for coursed ashlar work where a really tight joint is desired. The profile, a semi-circular bead shape, is pretty typical of late 1800’s stonework at least in these parts. I made him two slightly different sizes — 5/16” width and 1/4” width — but both use the same 3/8” thick blade stock.

For metal I just went with a 1018 cold rolled. It won’t wear the best, but as these are kind of prototype designs we aren’t too worried about that for now. The quickest way for me to break the blanks out was to chain drill around the shapes and clean up afterwards. It looks ugly but it does work, and fairly quickly too.

0EE004BA-2A79-447B-93F8-B5BDA55B42A5.jpeg

A while back there was a thread asking if stresses in cold rolled material were something to be concerned about. Well, this is a pretty good illustration in real time — with the two blanks removed from the one piece of bar and placed edge to edge, the combined bow was just under twenty-five thousandths.

2B99D245-35FF-4557-B6E4-14F0AEE5B07D.jpeg

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out various ways to hold the work during different operations. Here’s one blank on the clamping plate for shaping the tang for the wooden handle.

84C53927-D5D1-44A4-99B8-4AEA02AEC2F9.jpeg

The bead profile was roughed out on the shaper as well using my basic round-nose tool. It won’t do the whole shape in one sweep, but nibbling small cuts to gradually sneak up to the line worked really well. You have to stay focussed though — at 60 strokes per minute a mental slip-up in which direction to tweak the crank can suddenly become very exciting!

08E12769-EEE8-4095-A102-A6CA71C34A5F.jpeg

I use my clamping plate on my bandsaw as well, it’s really handy for cutting odd-shaped parts.

F8A349F8-BE08-45FE-B6FE-606A9A1DA13F.jpeg

Here’s the two irons pretty much finished. I tuned up the prows by hand using a round chainsaw file and also eased the sharp heel a tad. This is the same shape as the sample he gave me to work from, so I copied it faithfully.

2D9103FB-242B-4803-8116-D237F529CCA3.jpeg

And here with the handles mounted. I’ve always been a little non-plussed with tang hole drilling in the past but this time I thought of using a step drill (uni bit, Christmas tree bit, whatever, the kind you use for sheet metal). That worked as slick as can be and the tangs drive in very solidly.

99C03511-E6BC-4234-B227-85B62E7A2166.jpeg

So that’s that. My friend will get to try them out within the month I expect, so I’ll see how they perform. Thanks for looking!

-frank

388A9599-6448-49D3-9B2A-E2924DE3581B.jpeg

These are awesome!
Just curious why you didn't use the bandsaw to cut out the initial shapes?
Robert

Thanks guys, your comments are always valued greatly.

Yes the bandsaw would have been ideal but I’ve never liked using the upright mode in mine. For one, the table is a little dinky and too small for my comfort, and for two, it just isn’t as solid as I would like being on the wheeled stand and all. I won’t officially mention reason three being the fact that I’ve never gotten around to making replacement guards for the wheels so it’s a bit unnerving running it in the upright mode without those. I used to do a ton of non ferrous cutting on a dedicated TWS that I ran for years until the guides finally packed it in so it’s not a familiarity thing, just that I don’t find the same comfort level with the 4x6. Plus, at 3/8” thick stock, I’m not sure it would have been able to do it much quicker. Maybe something I should revisit in the new year. In reality, if he ends up wanting more, I’d look into having the blanks done on a water jet machine.

-frank

Last edited:
Excellent work, Frank.

Would love to see some follow-up photos of stone work using them.

Regards,
Terry

Back