Polishing a drill press column on the lathe - suggestions?

Buickgsman

Active User
Registered
I received the column for my drill press today. It arrived and looks very good. I, of course, want to polish it up. OK, I admit that I like shiny stuff. I used some 2000 grit paper on it, some scotch brite, and some steel wool, all by hand, and it polished it up some, but not super nice and shiny like I would like. also, not quite as even. If I mounted the column in the lathe and used a steady rest would that allow me to safely spin the column so I can polish it up with some scotchbrite or other material? Would the steady rest leave a groove on the tube? I'm using my Clausing 4900 to do this. Suggestions are appreciated here. Or, should I just get it close by hand and try to polish it up on a small buffing wheel with compound? Might take a while I would think. I don't need it to be too nutso, but the shinier the better.
Thanks!
Bob

The steady rest should not leave a mark. Just don't tighten it real tight. Don't let it flop around either.

Depending on what is making it not shiny, I'd probably start with something a bit rougher than 2000 grit say 400-600.

Hi Bob,
I once did a nice job of shining up a fairly badly rusted round mill column. I used 6" scotchbrite pad in a random orbital sander and auto body rubbing compound. I suspect an even better polish could be achieved with swirl mark remover or some such thing and a felt pad in the same sander.
Good Luck,
Michael

There is another web site I frequent dedicated to old USA made metalworking machines and woodworking machines where a guy had a thread showing exactly how he did this very thing for an old drill press column on a metal lathe as part of his restoration.

If you do not know the name of the site, PM me if you are interested and I will give you the name of the site. Sorry, that site name cannot be mentioned freely here.

I received the column for my drill press today. It arrived and looks very good. I, of course, want to polish it up. OK, I admit that I like shiny stuff. I used some 2000 grit paper on it, some scotch brite, and some steel wool, all by hand, and it polished it up some, but not super nice and shiny like I would like. also, not quite as even. If I mounted the column in the lathe and used a steady rest would that allow me to safely spin the column so I can polish it up with some scotchbrite or other material? Would the steady rest leave a groove on the tube? I'm using my Clausing 4900 to do this. Suggestions are appreciated here. Or, should I just get it close by hand and try to polish it up on a small buffing wheel with compound? Might take a while I would think. I don't need it to be too nutso, but the shinier the better.
Thanks!
Bob

Try metal polish and a buffing pad.

Hmmm, my thinking must be wired all wrong... The column on mine started life very shiny and I kept spraying a little WD40 every few weeks until it got a nice yellow waxy buildup. Now I don't worry about it rusting in humid season. If I rub a little spot with a rag, the shiny is still hiding underneath the wax.

Ray

If you don't care much about your lathe, or think you can cover it up well, a brass wire wheel acting like a toolpost grinder might brighten it up.

Sounds like a big lathe?

Bernie

If you have access to a larger floor model Ridgid Pipe threader they work great for cleaning up a drill press column. With sandpaper, scothbrite etc.

Why do you need the steady for polishing? Do you have to remove the tailstock to get enough room? I think if you make a plug for the end with a shoulder and center drill it you should be set.

I got the column on Thursday and cleaned it up and got it on the lathe. I checked out Youtube and found a guy that used roller wheels screwed to a wood block and clamped to the lathe to support the column. I threw a similar setup together and clamped it down and polished the column up. There are some scratches and divots from objects that have hit it over the years, but it cleaned up nicely... keeping in mind it is a drill press. When I mounted it, I put the nicer side closer to the top so I could sleep at night. I cleaned up the handwheel studs and the table and base. All in all I am pretty pleased with the purchase. I am going to order a new switch. I'm contemplating one with a paddle for the off button but I haven't 100% decided.
Bob

20131004_215302.jpg 20131006_124009.jpg 20131006_124015.jpg 20131006_124019.jpg 20131006_124027.jpg

Back