Polishing a drill press column on the lathe - suggestions?

Bob,

That is a very nice find!

And I must say, you are my kind of guy. Nice job!

Steve

Shawn- 70 Skylark and a 69 Cutlass! If I stopped playing with the machines, I could get some work done on the Cutlass!

Bob

Very nice job on the press. Degrease the heck out of that table then fill the oh, ohs with bondo of all things. Works down easily and is amazingly resistant to oil. Still ugly but way smoother. I have worked over all my free drill press vices that way. They were ugly, hence, free! :allgood:

You are also correct in replacing that residential wall switch with something a little more manly, I mean industrial looking. One last item. You and I need to get together over some suds and discuss this anal problem we seem to share. I can keep secrets! :drink:

I was thinking that once you got it nicely polished up you could drop it off at the local re-chrome and let him chrome plate it for you. Forever shine and able to clean up with a green pad or a paper towel and solvent. You would avoid the constant retreating or reworking that is inevitable unless you shop is heated and cooled with rock solid humidity control. If it was me I would look into it because I love shiny things and loath corrosion in my unheated or climate controlled shop.

Bob

I was able to find some time today to work on my switch. I ordered it off of ebay for 36 bucks delivered which I thought was a great price. I'm sure its made in china or Taiwan, but it seems like a nice switch for the money. The depth the switch needed wasn't happening as far as the drill press was concerned so I had to make a spacer to get everything to fit properly. So I was able to cut a spacer out of some 1/4" steel on the CNC plasma cutter at school. I love that thing! Anyway, a spacer and some longer stainless hardware later here we are. The last pic is kind of an upskirt pic of the switch without the stop paddle in the way. Works great and looks like it belongs on the press. Up next is the motor mounts/isolators and belt.

Bob

20131011_205002.jpg 20131011_205007.jpg 20131011_205013.jpg

Back