• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Poll - Who Makes the best end mills?

[3]

Who Makes The Best End Mills?

• Total voters
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

eac67gt

H-M Supporter-Premium Member
The question is - who makes the best end mills?

Cheeseking

Active User
I havent used em all or taken notes but I can say more and more I use carbide ones. They just cut so much nicer its like night and day. SGS have worked well for me.

joe_m

Active User
I'm just a hobbyist, not a metalurgist, so I just go for whatever I scrounge up. After years of collecting machinist chests I've got a single chest full of end mills in different sizes, flutes - square end, round end, roundover etc. Whatever is sharp works for me. I don't usually look at the maker but just went and grabbed a handfull and most of those were weldon or b&s so I guess that's what was preferred by the pros way back whenever.

Joe

dfletch

Active User
Most of mine are cheap import from Wholesale tool. I have no idea what the brand might be. I figure what the speed should be and run them a little slower. They seem to work fine for hobby use. If I had a lot of production work I would certainly upgrade.

doco

Active User
I can usually ruin anything I use in just one application. So, I guess they all are just fine...:angry::banghead:

lineman

Active User
Like doco, I'm good at ruining any kind, but most of mine are Cleveland & Niagara.

flutedchamber

Active User
I would say OSG, Cleveland and Niagara. But it depends on what you're cutting, concerning what is "best".

eac67gt

Just to clarify why I posted this, I was sitting here this morning looking at a catalog and wondered what do most people buy.....what do most people prefer when they buy an end mill. It was a general purpose question so I thought I would do a poll to see what everyone thought. Maybe it doesn't make sense but I thought it would be fun.
Have a great day everyone and thanks for your vote.
Ed

swatson144

Global Moderator
Of the choices I think Niagara is the best but I voted for Hertel as they are a great value in my opinion.

Steve

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
LOL... I got my mill 3 years ago and purchased a 12 piece set of TiN coated endmills from Shars for about 70 bucks. All but one (which I broke by accidentally doing a hill-climb cut) are in great shape. For hard stuff, I buy TiALN carbide of whatever brand is the cheapest. I have them in most sizes as well as rounded and pointed tip. I like the carbide better than HSS and will go all carbide in the future -except for the corner bits because they're so expensive and not used all that often. I think for homeshop use, few people are really pushing the limits of the tooling.

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
A problem when buying cheap Asian end mills is that some are quite sharp and some are not when brand new. Also,the HSS bits seem to be a good deal more brittle than USA HSS. The coatings can be extremely thin also. You buy them at your own risk. As with everything Asian,quality control is iffy. Most of the time for home shop use,they'll be o.k.,though a brand new cutter that isn't quite sharp is not the best tool to have.

Jeff in Pa

Active User
The question is - who makes the best end mills?
Are we roughing or finishing? What's the material? Finish requirements?

Roughing endmills I like OSG and Hertel. Stainless and difficult to machine materials I use fine tooth roughers. Aluminum cutting endmills have polished flutes to reduce the chance for the aluminum sticking to the flutes.

Proper surface footage is just as important as the endmill selection.

twraska

Active User
I looked and didn't see 'Whatever you can get for cheap'! LOL

Mid Day Machining

Active User
NONE OF THE ABOVE. I have had tremendous success with YG ALU-POWER for aluminum, and Duramill WhisperKut end mills for steel.

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
The one's I use are not on the list. Nachi, Cleveland, Morse, Quency. Most of mine are new old stock, regrinds from over twenty years ago.

eac67gt

I want to thank everyone so far for their input. Even though this poll was on a kind of simple subject and to some maybe kind of useless I still think it is fun to run polls. Polls are simple way to start a general subject and see what people are thinking or doing. Personally I don't mind starting other polls in the future I just need to come up with ideas on what to make a poll about (I'm kind of slow :think1:).

If anyone has ideas on a poll or constructive criticism, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!

Ed

EmilioG

Active User
I like and use Guhring.
Niagra is also a good end mill manufacturer, which I also have.
Haven't tried them all, but Guhring makes great tooling.
All of my carbide is Guhring.

Doubleeboy

Active User
I have a friend who gets large lots of M42 Chinese endmills. I have no idea where or who they come from but they are great and smoke what Enco and others sell as economojo end mills. If I need a size he doesn't have I go to the local machine supply place and buy YG. YG taps and EMs are consistently good but you gots to pay the price.

I fondly remember the days when Enco sold no name USA made drills and end mills and even no name Chinese M42 tooling at good prices, seems those days are over. Now it junk made out of hardened peanut butter or over price inferior stuff with old school names attached. I just returned a lathe toolholder from Kennemetal, grossly over priced, made in Bulgaria, beautiful job, nice cnc work, except some idiot never noticed the screw hole for insert was off center by about .010". Some days.....

michael

Andre

Active User
I like Niagara, Weldon, and ITW (Illinois Tool Works.) If I had to pick a single brand it would be ITW.

Last edited:

Billh50

Active User
To me it doesn't matter much about brand. As long as it is sharp and cuts good.

Bill Gruby

Iron
Former Member
What kind of list does not include "Cleveland"? They come no better. I haven't bought a new end-mill in about 20 years.

"Billy G"

RVJimD

Active User
I will chime in with my VERY NEW TO THE HOBBY opinion. For the end mills I have and just about everything else in my shop, I get something inexpensive knowing that there is a good likelihood that something I may do improperly may destroy or otherwise prevent me from seeing the normal performance from the tool. I don't mind spending more for something that I know is better but if my lack of experience is going to play a big role I start small...

Jim

dave2176

Active User
I typically use Interstate from Enco's hot deals when they have an extra coupon code. They cut nice and the two I broke due operator error didn't make me feel too bad cause I wasn't out much. I bought a bunch of new Niagara, OSG, Accupro and others at an estate sale for a buck or two each. I pulled out one of Niagara end mills for a job and that was a whole new experience. Man that cut nice, hence the reason for my vote. I'll keep using the Interstate brand for most stuff until I stop doing stupid since I can't replace the name brand ones for what I paid for them.

Dave

dracozny

Active User
I have no clue who makes mine, I usually just buy them from my local Fastenal.

Larry42

Hertel & Shars, I think, are both owned by MSC.
MSC has great service and a range of quality levels.
They must have a hell of a computer system as fast as they can find you an alternative, if what you want is out of stock. Looking at their catalog you wonder how they can have that much stuff, in stock.
The super cheap deals that Shars used to run, seem to have disappeared, since bought by MSC.
I've used Hertel, seems fine. But I've also used Chinese that seem fine. Probably an indication of my lack of experience.
I do see that I get better results with inserted tooling, when run close to the recommended SFM. I just often lack the courage to run at those rates.
By not doing repetitive work it's hard to tell how much difference in life there is from one tool to the next.
I own a production woodworking business. There we use high end tooling because we can measure the time or # of sheets run and judge the quality of cut from a lot of experience. Computerized equipment can tell you how many parts/sheets etc. that have been run everyday.

If any of you are also woodworkers, the IWF2018 show is coming up in Atlanta. Worth the trip, big show. Check it out on-line.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
I will chime in with my VERY NEW TO THE HOBBY opinion. For the end mills I have and just about everything else in my shop, I get something inexpensive knowing that there is a good likelihood that something I may do improperly may destroy or otherwise prevent me from seeing the normal performance from the tool. I don't mind spending more for something that I know is better but if my lack of experience is going to play a big role I start small...
^+1.
I started out with the $70 chinese set, like many here. They have held up well, but I ain't hogging nuthin with em. For that, I use the 1/2" OSG brand TiAIN coated roughing endmill sweetheart I paid $64 for!:faint:

bill stupak

I have some Garr solid carbide roughing end mills that cut steel like butter on my mini mill. Stu

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
No one has mentioned a couple of my favorites. Of course, for brother-in-law jobs, whatever I lay a hand on first in the used pile (or maybe the second) works just fine. But for difficult materials I turn to some of the coated Japanese manufacturers such as Hanita and Nachi. Sometimes I'm thinking it is as much the coating as anything else but exotic materials usually do well with upper end (heh heh) end mills.

stupoty

Active User
All Dormer end mills I have used have been amazing.

:)

[6]
[5] [7]