Portable Band Saw

cascao

Active User
Registered
Have someone used this kind of band saw?
It can save a lot of space from that horizontal.
It can handle the job of cutting average size (1/2" to 3" eventually) round bars to lathe well?
Especially this new Starrett S1010. It's a third of a price of a Makita
band_saw-01.jpg 41zy7Ff1TsL._SY300_.jpg

I have a Milwaukee like that. Works great. Normally a bit faster cutting than my horizontal band saw.

They do the job well. I use mine for tubing and pipe. The horizontal gets used for the thick stuff because I don't want to hold it for 20 minutes while it cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the one from Grizzly and it does a very good job. The grizzly comes with the stand also and I have it mounted on a table stand but when need you can turn it into a handheld unit. I also have a 4x6 . I use the grizzly for the smaller stuff and the 4x6 for bigger pieces. I did change the vise on the Grizzly early on as at that time I didn't have the 4x6. Another thing I did was make a holder so that when cutting small items you can get closer to the blade. The holder works for both of the saws. I really like mine and the stand on the Grizzly is why I bought that model.

I have a Milwaukee Deep Cut model with the base and legs, it worked very well for the 15 or so years I had it on the floor of my old shop. Once it was tuned up, it worked as well as any small horizontal bandsaw i've ever used. It's in storage now, awaiting a refurbishing and will be included in the tool lineup of my new shop. I plan to add hydraulic dampening and pumped coolant.

I have a Milwaukee Portaband. I built a stand so it can also be used as a vertical band saw . It is the cat's meow for cutting stuff that I can't cut with my horizontal band saw. Very handy tool.
Nice job on the stand!

I bought a nice stand for portable bandsaws from Swag Offroad. I have a 14" woodworking bandsaw, but I cut metal exclusively with my Milwaukee portable in the stand.

I definitely second building or buying a stand — it will see a lot more use with one. It only takes a second to remove from the Swag stand and use it as a portable.

They are handy tools.
--
Rex

Once it was tuned up, it worked as well as any small horizontal bandsaw i've ever used.

Hey Eddy, what did you do to "tune up" your portaband. I have a pretty old one that still seems to work well, but what do I know, as I've never used any other portaband. You have me thinking that a "tune up" might make it better! Please advise, thanks, JR49

Back