Portable Band Saw

Hey Eddy, what did you do to "tune up" your portaband. I have a pretty old one that still seems to work well, but what do I know, as I've never used any other portaband. You have me thinking that a "tune up" might make it better! Please advise, thanks, JR49
Mainly, adjust the vice and the saw support arm on the base so it cut square. Also the blade guide rollers, tension etc. It is a little bit of a trial and error process but once it was done, it cut accurately and held the adjustments for a long time. The only drawback was having to hold it while cutting, as if I just let it feed under its own pressure it would sometimes overheat or walk. That's why I'll be adding the feed control and coolant....

Yup, I have the Milwaukee too, it works very well.
-brino

Same here. I have a Milwaukee in a Swag stand that gets used almost daily.

That starrett porta band doesn't appear to be available in the us.

I've had a Milwaukee deep cut model for about 17 years and I am very satisfied with it.

Scott

It looks kinda chicon
I have a couple Milwaukee portabands for outside work , one regular and one deep cut.
I also use an abrasive chopsaw with the base removed :eek: on rebar stuck in concrete chunks
Works good ,just wear all the safety gear you have.

Got mine as it was being carried to the trash bin. Free.
Right place at the right time. Lucky.
Kept throwing blades. To old to get parts.
Took a couple hours and some head scratchin. Made a part and a new cord.
Now works well!

These are expensive new. Old and worn out might be a viable alternative.
Consider watching CL and the trash bins if you have more time than cash.

Daryl
MN

It looks kinda chicon
I have a couple Milwaukee portabands for outside work , one regular and one deep cut.
I also use an abrasive chopsaw with the base removed :eek: on rebar stuck in concrete chunks
Works good ,just wear all the safety gear you have.

It kind of looks like the older HF saw.
upload_2015-10-24_21-37-51.png

I'ed be Carefull with those types of portabands in a stand as the metal particles might fall into the motor and smoke it. The Milwaukee motors are in a different location.
I buy the starrett blades for my Milwaukee's they work good , but that saw looks kinda cheesy,

As always pictures are worth a thousand words. I as said in my other post this is the Grizzly I purchased a few years ago.
I believe they still sell them at a good price. Just had to buy the better blades and changed over the vice.IMG_0001 Standard e-mail view.jpg IMG_0002 Standard e-mail view.jpg

Back