Possible first lathe: Atlas TV48

TC,

If by "originally" he means "from the factory", I could give you the list, but from memory:

6" Faceplate
One Lathe Dog (don't remember which size)
2MT Dead Center (2)
2MT to 3MT Sleeve
Lantern Tool Post with Rocker and Rocker Sleeve
Wrench for Tool Post and Carriage Lock bolts
Maybe one or two other minor pieces
3/8" Square HSS Tool Blank (unground)
Current Edition of the MOLO

Otherwise it could be anything from soup to nuts.

On the bench, look at a catalog photo of the cast iron legs with built up hardwood top and shelf. That's can be taken as the minimum that will give satisfactory performance. All other things being equal, there is some rigidity benefit to having the leg pairs closer together at the top than at the bottom. The original stand for the TV48 weighed 160 pounds. Unfortunately, none of the catalogs seem to give the dimensions of the top. Atlas for a few years also offered a hardwood 2-drawer cabinet. It's top dimensions for the 48" and 54" bed lathes are 14" x 57". And it would mount either vertical or horizontal countershaft lathes (TVnn or THnn).

Robert D.

Robert D.

Here are the photos the seller sent me. It looks pretty good considering it's probably 60 years+ old. Let me know what you guys think!

Lathe1.jpgLathe2.jpglathe3.jpglathe4.jpg

Lathe1.jpg Lathe2.jpg lathe3.jpg lathe4.jpg

Well, it certainly doesn't look like a basket case. The only original parts I see that are obviously missing are the two handles on the compound crank. I think that you can still buy those from Clausing. He didn't include a photo of whatever accessories come with it, though.

The bed doesn't look badly worn. However, you can't really tell that from a general photo unless it is really bad. The motor is a newer TEFC type, which is good.

Robert D.

I just recently (end of last week) brought home an almost identical lathe mine is the 36" version.

Did you end up buying it or did you go another route.

I ask because if we are both working on basically identical projects we may be able to lean on each other for resources.

Back