Possible issues???

CaryC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking at this Clausing and this would be my first lathe. It's a ways from me so I am not able to check it in person, so I am going off of what the seller tells me.

It looks like there is a leak at the gearbox.

Is this a potential money pit???

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes it could be if the spindle bearings are bad- you don't want to know how much they cost. But for hobby use it may be OK
even if the bearings are tired
Oil seals can be replaced but it's a job. You might want to keep looking
I've seen quite a few of these for sale lately and I suspect they may all have expensive problems
-Mark

Those were very good lathes when new, but buying without inspection is a complete crap shoot. Would you be willing to
buy an older used car without looking it over?

Those were very good lathes when new, but buying without inspection is a complete crap shoot. Would you be willing to
buy an older used car without looking it over?
True...

From the picture I can tell the owner never really took care of it, check all the chips in the pan , dirt and probable oil leak. Ways look surface rusted along with the compound. For 3k I'd pass or inspect personally

markba633csi pointed out that spindle bearings are REALLY expensive for those machines: a point that
has come up in every post I've ever seen about them. Without an in person inspection, you won't know if they're
needed. Changing them will cost a significant percentage of the price of the lathe.

Back