Possible motor for mill

Oops! I missed the voltage. Yeah, you want 220/230/240 whatever they call it these days. :)

Some of them are able to be rewired for low/high, that's how most of mine are. But those are 220/440 generally.

I use the cheap import VFDs from ebay. They work fine for me, though they are not sealed so you need to put them where swarf, oil, grinding dust, etc can't get in them. On the other hand, I can blow up 4 of them before the expensive sealed ones break even. :grin:

Oops! I missed the voltage. Yeah, you want 220/230/240 whatever they call it these days. :)

Some of them are able to be rewired for low/high, that's how most of mine are. But those are 220/440 generally.

I use the cheap import VFDs from ebay. They work fine for me, though they are not sealed so you need to put them where swarf, oil, grinding dust, etc can't get in them. On the other hand, I can blow up 4 of them before the expensive sealed ones break even. :grin:
i have had very good luck with inexpensive drives form Ebay
if they ever should break i'm out 50 or 60 bucks- a high end VFD could be more than $1000

When I started hooking up my VFD I quickly found out that not all 3 phase motors are equal. Some work better with a VFD than others, some are made specifically to work with a VFD and will provide much better variable speed control than those that just tolerate a VFD.

In my case it turns out that the person who converted my mill to 3 ph VFD knew what they were doing and used a Baldor motor specifically made to work with a VFD.

I'm not the one to ask about the technical aspects, as I know just enough to electrocute myself, but we have many here who understand this stuff. If you are going to do the conversion I'd get some specific recommendations for the motor beyond 3 phase, 240v, 1740 rpm.

Thanks @ttabbal
I’ll see if the seller responds.

Any recommendations for a VFD? Did I spell that correctly? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@DavidR8
Hi David.
OK - I get it that for you, the simple 3 letters "VFD" is from another dimension!
If you want the most flexible, energy efficient, totally controllable, full torque regardless revs, power_factor_corrected, automatic soft start, internal safe-torque-off e-STOP safety, with controlled accelerate / decelerate to halt without stripping gears, then you now have loads of low-cost multi-pole (meaning 4 to 8 poles) servo drives available. Every (Jap, Chinese, American, Italian, etc.) outfit is falling over themselves to offer everything including "electronic gearboxes", and "guaranteed safety".

Will the torque force flop out?
For example - I have recently being going all weak-knee at something like --> THIS
OK - so when we stop getting distracted, the point was how the machine can deliver a full torque controlled dead stop - zero RPM!
That is what a modern multipole servomotor with encoders can do - and motors don't have to be a DC type.

I have listed only 7 features so far. Now consider what "VFD" used to mean. Variable Frequency Drive! So now let us carefully lead you into what this might mean. I will try to make it meaningful for anyone who glazes over when encountering business buzztalk like "fully integrated solutions for fully parameterized high-bandwidth current-loop stability"! Ditch all that for now.

Motors? "Induction" motors? ..
Take the most common motor type. From decades past to the present, it is only now that we are finally getting some really serious motor development, like the 185kW motor in the back end of the Tesla Model S, For the average small(ish) lathe, it is a 3/4 HP or 1HP "squirrel-cage" induction motor. If you use both phases in a USA-type supply (2 x 110V = 220V or so), you can have 2.2 to 2.9kW - i.e. up to about 3HP. They can be artificial 3-phase, or an artificial 2-phase which starts out as single phase, and the "other" phase is made by putting it through a capacitor, often seen as the "extra" cylindrical component hanging on the outside of the motor. If you have an "older" piece of iron that hails from the days before software-controlled everything, then this is very likely what came with your iron.

You can "change the speed" of these by making an electronically generated artificial supply, and "make the frequency less than 60Hz". The motors middle bits, "armatures, rotors" whatever, rely on a magnetic field that "rotates". I skip over what exactly is "induction motor" for now. Suffice to say it is the way the rotating bit manages to become magnetic is by having the field "induced" in it - much like a transformer.
It is simply not enough to just change the frequency, which is already low to start with. The torque force drops off dramatically!

Also note that the spinning bit does not manage to keep up with the rotating fields coming from the coils. There is always a "lag", which gets bigger as you load the motor.

Speed and Torque
Now we come to the crucial bit. The power delivered by the motor is Power = Torque x Speed. In this case, "speed" is an angular velocity, which can expressed in terms of RPM using conversion constants e.g. HP = Torque (pound-foot) X RPM/5252. The point is - look what happens if you want to go slow! The power falls to zero! This is the main disappointment if you have a simplistic "VFD" simply plonked straight onto an old induction motor.

Better types of VFD.
Still going with the available VFD's, the better types are still able to drive single phase and three phase induction motors with better delivery of torque at slower speeds. They generate an artificial 3-phase supply, or two phase for use with an old motor, and you ditch the capacitor. This can be had from a single phase source. Be aware that there is a limit to how high a voltage you can wring out of a 110V supply. If you can get across the two phases as most US-type household supplies are done, for 220-240VAC, and connect the artificial 3-phase in a wiring mode known as "delta", you can extract a respectable amount of controlled power. These sort only alter the frequency by a limited amount. They operate the motors with large amounts of "slip", and they alter the energy to the coils using quite complex higher frequency pulsed waveforms. Higher frequency means about 2kHz to about 20kHz, though any carrier below 8KHz squeals to annoyance! Welcome to "variable duty-cycle pulsed-width modulation".

So we have many products, all using the simple moniker "VFD", and we now know that some are more capable than others. If you intend to keep the old induction motor, make sure the VFD you choose will drive it, and try and discover if it will deliver enough torque to take the heavy cut, even though you are turning slow. Some of these get very clever. Unfortunately, too many are simply vague about the detail of what the drives really will do.

If I wanted high torque full speed control, I would try for a modern permanent magnet multi-pole motor with shaft encoder, and programmable servo drive, which might all simply go under the name "speed control", These encoders can count all the pulses from the encoder that might happen in decades of turning. They can be used for positional control. Welcome to CNC.

Modern VFDs are clever enough to get by without an encoder. They can sense the currents in the coils. The torque control is not as tight, or as precise, but it removes an expensive component, and may be all you need for regular non-CNC work.

Forgive that I may have just muddied the waters for you. My background includes designing 2 x 70kW servo drives for a 60HP RAT turbine that could receive and deliver program demanded revs and torque either pumping or being pumped by jet fuel, and return incoming power to the grid instead of dumping it in a heater. I did not miss the point that the humble induction motor on my South Bend 9A needs either a damn smart "VFD", or should be replaced by a modern drive motor. The innards of these things are still very physics-fundamenrtal. Just metal and copper and insulation and (now) powerful magnets. Add bearings and shaft. They do not cost substantially more than the old kit unless you are being offered hype! The real smarts are in the drive controllers, often using high-speed 32-bit internal computing.

Now try and make it simpler
1. First decision is whether to play with the full servo motor replacement deal, or whether to find some electronics that will make the old induction motor deliver a reasonable facsimile thereof. If you want to use the induction motor, then pay attention to the detail claims of the drive, especially if it calls itself a "VFD". There are some good ones about, made specifically for traditional induction motors, but quoting "Animal Farm", "some are more equal than others. You know now to check whether it can haul up a high torque at 100RPM. Look for features like "Power Factor Correction" , and "RFI filtering", and the presence of a load dump resistance load for acceleration and braking control.

2. The next thing is to check the power input capabilities. Know your AC mains supply, and what the drive expects. Figure out the power.

3. Take care about the motor capabilities. An AC capacitor on an old 60Hz induction motor may not take kindly to a 12kHz carrier pulse-width modulated drive unless the waveform envelope approximates a traditional 60Hz supply, even if the shape is more "square" than "sine".

It can be a complicated subject, and I get it that you want to see straight to an affordable product that can bolt-on. I think they exist, but I was not going there. I have tried to cut through the jargon, but it still ended up a long posting, for which I apologise.

edit: P.S. Just for curiosity, what are the available voltages in a Canadian-type supply. Do you get 2 phases to a household, so higher energy stuff like cookers etc. can have 220-240V? What motor do you want to get adventurous with?

Last edited:
Thanks @graham-xrf for the very fulsome treatise! I’ll have to re-read it several times for my brain to fully absorb all the information.

To your question. I have access to both 110v and 220v, both single phase.

The existing motor on my 1980’s mill is a 1hp, 110/220v, single phase. It’s currently wired for 220v.

Thanks @ttabbal
I’ll see if the seller responds.

Any recommendations for a VFD? Did I spell that correctly? ;)

OK - I should have been paying attention to the earlier posts. I just spotted it. Industrial motors can use higher voltages from industrail 3-phase supplies. It makes sense because if they have a whole factory full of machines, then the higher voltages allows lower current, hence easier switching and less copper.

The voltage from neutral to any phase is is phase-to-phase voltage/√3
In your case V= 575/1.732 = 331.9 VAC. You can immediately see that your domestic supply is nothing like that.

Consider your domestic voltage. It might be 115V (say). So if you have available a 2-phase supply point, you get 230VAC phase-to-phase.
Now discover how many amps you can draw from it. It might be (say) 10 amps.
The power you can have from this supply is Volts x Amps = 2.3kW.
This means 2300/746 = 3.08 HP. Change the numbers to suit your situation.

Now come to what motor is usable. An electronic drive will first change the alternating voltage into a direct current supply "bus" using diode rectifiers or other electronic switching. The highest value this bus can get to is a bit less than voltage times √2.
That might be 115 x 1.414 = 325V
The electronics might be able to make an "artificial" 3-phase voltage out of that much. Disregard for now how it does it. We are here seeking to assess how usefully compatible the motors on offer might be. Compare to a UK scene where the 3-phase feed is 415V, and the house voltage is 235-240VAC

We can go on to consider that a 3phase motor can be operated at a lower voltage, but using higher current, by wiring it connected as "delta" instead of "star" connections, and better suit the drive electronics. Regardless, in all these cases, your supply cannot be compatible with an industrial motor rated 575V without transformer or switch-mode boost. The kit to contrive the suitable voltage is way more expensive than simply using the right motor.

Thanks @graham-xrf for the very fulsome treatise! I’ll have to re-read it several times for my brain to fully absorb all the information.

To your question. I have access to both 110v and 220v, both single phase.

The existing motor on my 1980’s mill is a 1hp, 110/220v, single phase. It’s currently wired for 220v.

Oops - the posts crossed again. OK - 220V. This is easy enough for a 1HP motor. About 3.4 amps.
You get that voltage phase-to-phase.

The 1HP is 746 watts. A 575VAC 3-phase motor works to different rules.
3-phase power - √3 x (Power Factor) x Current x Voltage.

That power factor thing is because motors have magnets and coils in them, which have a property called inductance. This is because energy is stored in the magnetic fields, and it resists changes, so it slows down the rise of a current when charging, and tries to keep it going once established. The net effect is to delay, or lag the current changes behind the voltage. The voltage is a bit out of phase with the current. The value of the power factor in a bit of a worst case condition is usually about 0.86. Often the value is printed on the metal label on the motor.

So go for it! 746watts = √3 x 575V x 0.86 x Current.
Figure that the current needed in that motor = 0.871A. The motor delivers 1HP with only 870 milliamps!.

You can tell right away this is not for you. Electronic drives are clever, and I dare say there are some that might make a 3-phase voltage for anything you like starting with only a car cigarette lighter. BUT.. 746 watts taken from the poor suffering 12V battery does it with 62 amps!

A one horsepower servo drive given 220VAC to start with is easy, and reasonably low cost. This is provided you don't ask it to do it with a 575V motor on the other end. Don't buy a 575V motor for your mill.

When I went to variable speed on my mill drill I installed a 2 hp Dc motor
Not sure how the torque at low speed with a VFD on a 1 hp 3 phase would be
Maybe someone who has done this can verify the performance
My mill will go from 120 to 1500 rpm without changing belts on the pulleys
Have not had to change pulleys since installing 15 years ago
You may have to look at a bigger motor to get low speed torque
I agree changing pulleys for speed control is the pitts

Back