possible new CL scam?

This sounds similar to the scam that almost got my son.
He got a call from his "credit card company" that he needed to read the number back they just sent him to verify his identity. What happens is the scammer tries to reset a password and needs the verification code to do so. They just call you and get the code from the registered account holder.

We never place phone number in cl ads.

We state we have odd work schedule and please use email as first contact.

We still get some junk where they ask about item with looks like automated device.

We usually email back asking question not related to item, if trees are listed and we get odd question we ask to confirm tire size or something else and they often reply back with a size, not related to a tree...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah I had a listing for a lathe and got a "We will buy this" email. Wanted to ask what they were going to make with "this", figuring that it was a generic response.

I have answered probably a dozen c-list ads through their e-mail system and have never had a response from any of them... never...

I will still use the e-mail, but dislike it... I prefer to call/text direct...

-Bear

I found some info about how it is a Google Voice scam. They use your number, but don't take over your phone or anything. I clicked on the link, but then didn't click on anything else. I only clicked to see what it actually was. I'll have to check and make sure nothing was compromised.

This happened to me a good while back. As mentioned by others - They are using your cell phone number to obtain a second number on Google Voice. As I remember (though not 100% sure) ---I needed to sign into google and request a new second number and it released the scammed associated number. It was easy and certainly worth doing. I also use this Google voice number for listing on CL.

Back