Possible Purchase of PM-25MV

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been looking hard at the PM-25MV mill. It's right size and cost for my needs.

I've been told there are possible issues with defective spindle bearings. Issues include: noisy, getting very hot, etc. Has anyone experienced this here?

Also, I was wondering if the DRO reduces the X, Y, and/or Z travel at all? If so, how much?

How does the Weiss/DROPROs mills compare to the PM? Are they the same except for the DRO?

I would have to move the mill from my garage into my basement down stairs with a 90 degree bend in it halfway down. Does the mill disassemble easily into pieces for transport? I would guess the table, base and column (with or without the head and motor)?

Thanks.

Don't own the 25MV but I own its near cousin from Grizzly. I can't speak for everyone here, but many (including myself) push these machines far beyond what was intended for them. If you are doing manual machining with this machine, I doubt you'll have any issues with the spindle bearings. If they are defective, you'll be covered under their warranty. I have come to see Precision Matthews as a step up in quality over other companies selling import machinery.

Unsure about the DRO maybe someone else can chime in.

The mill does disassemble easily, although you'll be surprised what you can fit it through without taking it apart (just need two strong buddies). Be aware that every time you loosen the head and especially the column, you will be tramming it back into position. This isn't hard, I do it often enough, but it requires a decent indicator and some knowledge / patience.

I can't speak for everyone with a PM-25, but mine had no problems with the spindle bearings. I bumped the speed up to 5500 RPM on the stock bearings and they would get warm, but not overheat. The spindle was never too noisy for me. As macardoso mentioned, the support is excellent, so you don't need to worry about defective parts. Matt will get you taken care of if anything isn't up to par.

I don't have the DRO so I can't answer anything about those.

Disassembly is easy. I broke mine down to the bones to move it by myself and it took me only a few hours from start to finish. The head separates from the Z axis slide easily, and the table and saddle come off with relatively little effort. The head and table are in the 60 lb each range, so I estimate the column and base at 150 lbs ish by themselves. Moveable by one person.

I have had mine for a few years now and it is hardly recognizable now, but they are very capable machines.

M1wdt5W.jpg

t0l5S7t.jpg

P9Qsogu.jpg

ebNNEWW.jpg

I have power feed on X, nothing other than as issued otherwise. I do have a temp sensor on the spindle. continuous use at 2,000 will raise the temperature to about 110 f. But that is unusual, to have it running that long. I expect CNC use would get it hotter than that. I've had nothing but good support for problems.

Yes, I'd buy another, should the need arise.

The installed DRO does not limit movement.

I own the PM-25MV with DRO. Unlike some of these folks, I'm more what you might call a "casual" user. I mostly do electronics and software, but occasionally need to machine some aluminum or brass for projects.

I managed to move mine from the garage, up two steps into the main floor, then down a straight flight of stairs, and up on to a workbench...by myself, no disassembly. I used a come-along (aka manual cable hoist), web strap, compound block, and safety rope. Used 2x4s for skids.

RssZMPR.jpg
zQOJNsE.jpg
2WkyQHo.jpg

The 90 degree turn on my stairs probably rules out using the method Darry used. I'll have to break it down into manageable pieces.

It's good to hear that the spindle bearings aren't a big issue.

Has anyone used the factory stand? Recommended?

Just ordered one of these bad boys, stoked to say the least!

I am picking it up at a depot so that I can disassemble it to get it into the basement, curious what tools I need to bring with me?

I am picking it up at a depot so that I can disassemble it to get it into the basement, curious what tools I need to bring with me?

I would bring sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, vice grips, pliers. I would assume all are metric?

Did you order the factory stand?

Ordered the mill with the 3 axis DRO, ultra precision chuck and clamping kit.
I was planning on doing the DRO myself for less than half the cost, but really thought about it and like the idea of how useful it will be out of the gate already installed. Easily worth the extra cost to me.
I will be making my own X power feed as I have read reviews the one specific to this machine has a number of issues.

Assuming our machines are identical (Safe bet that most things are the same, but designs change slightly over time) to disassemble you will need:

Separate head from Z axis slide:
-Socket wrench or standard wrench. I don't recall what size it was, but there are 3 nuts holding the head to the slide. It is a little bit tight under there so a large wrench or one of the adjustable ones may have trouble fitting. If I recall correctly, the tool kit that came with my machine had the right size wrench for those nuts.

Separate table from saddle:
-Allen wrench (hex wrench, L wrench, whatever you want to call them), standard wrench, flat head screwdriver, and pliers. You need to separate the leadscrew from the table. The end supports are held on with socket head cap screws and have pins for locating (Need to pull straight out). The handles are attached with a lock nut and have keys (thats what the pliers are for). Before sliding the table off, you need to loosen the gib using the flat head screw driver. Should slide right out once you do that.

If you need to take the column off the base, that is attached with 4 large cap screws. You will need a 10mm allen wrench to unscrew those. They are on tight, so you may also need a way to get more leverage.

That there should do it.

Back