Possible relocation.

Time has passed and things have steadied down. I've applied for a Residency Visa, unlimited stay for 5 years, then renuable. I have built a Wood Shop in a spare bedroom. Since I last wrote, I've been here 40% of the time, badly mauled the end of one finger (jointer) and one thumb (table saw)
and continue to enjoy life and friendship. I'm 17 miles from the North Sea, can work outside (first of Feb) unless it's windy, and have no problems keeping busy. The language (in lesson books) is only starting to make sense, but except for people my age, born before the war, everyone speaks English.

"Is that for economic or COVID reasons?"

Romantic...
This guy seems to have a good reputation as a machinery dealer in the Netherlands. Lots of nice machines for sale.

Visited the Netherlands a few years back, and had a great time. Sounds like you're enjoying life. Be careful around that machinery. Cheers, Mike

My son is learning his 3rd or 4th language using an app on his tablet. (duo-lingo?)
You might consider that, of course, his brain is still young and supple; unlike mine.... I don't think I could do it so easily.
Brian

My son is learning his 3rd or 4th language using an app on his tablet. (duo-lingo?)
You might consider that, of course, his brain is still young and supple; unlike mine.... I don't think I could do it so easily.
Brian
I agree with Brian.

FWIW, I have been learning Spanish using Duolingo. I find it to be an excellent learning tool which is challenging and at the same time a lot of fun. It has a virtual coach which tailors your learning based on the progress you make. Plus, they have a FREE version.

It might be worth a try. For me, I like it so much that I have a 2,395 consecutive day streak going (which shows the kind of life I live).
Bill

I know that manual machining is alive & well in at least Poland & Croatia!

I once had a Russian-American visit my shop (in my 2-car garage), & he said that it was “set up like an Eastern European machine shop”. I took that to mean “all manual machines & no CNC”.

I’ve been vacationing for a month in Oaxaca Mexico. Be careful about this language stuff. I have 4 years of High School Spanish, and using that skill, ordered a ham sandwich. Here’s what I got:

1675277348739.jpeg

FWIW, I have been learning Spanish using Duolingo.
I've been working with DuoLingo for maybe a year, got through 6 lessons, just couldn't make it work. I'm currently working with a school text for outsiders, doing about one les (lesson) every other dag. I'm forced to read out loud (by my doscent, (teacher) an American my age who emigrated to Holland in the 1960's and speaks it like a native.) Who, NOT incidentally, I knew in High School. It's not mockelijk, (easy) but we're making it work. My goal is to to be able to understand spoken Nederlands, so I can understand questions,, etc.

you might consider looking at model railroading, model engineering and other names I expect - I know the English and Germans do so. That is where many home machinists are engaged.

My "machine shop" is in Ohio, where I expect to spend less and less time. The shop here is for wood, though I do have a small drill press, that, hack saw, and a file are my only metal work possibilities.

I found yesterday that upon return to Ohio in a couple of weeks, I'll be making adaptors for my 10" 5/8 arbor table saw blades and other accessories acquired over the decades. It seems my new HBM table saw has a 5/8 in. arbor with adaptors for 30 mm blades. But, the way it's built another adaptor will be needed for the 5/8 arbor blades, too.

I'm currently engaged in making chochkies for sale to benefit charities, keeps me busy while m'lady plays bridge and swims. Better weather will commence flower garden landscaping, etc. So far only Snow Drops are blooming, and they are everywhere.

My new saw kicked back a small piece of wood (Golden Rain Tree) yesterday, mashing the end of my right thumb which was holding the black plastic pusher stick... so much for safety.

Back