Resolved Possible scam?

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yesterday, I was looking at a forum item, and the page was overlaid with a sort of pop up asking me to go to a page where I could answer questions about my use of HM; I did that, and first I thought the questions to be rather thin and few, besides, the questions related (mostly) to info that HM could track itself regarding my participation on HM; the reason to participate in the "survey" was a "free" gift, with a choice of several different items for "free" paying only a very modest shipping amount and with each page they were trying to add items and more shipping. I did participate, and was a little concerned about the way they were trying to constantly up the deal; I blundered ahead, gave card info and completed the transaction; the bank e mailed with concerns about the transaction later, and today, I cancelled the card to avoid possible future problems with my card info being out there. I saw no security warnings when the page overlay came on.

OK. Report your post, and in the Reason give the name of the Forum and the thread's Subject and if the post that you replied to wasn't #1, the Post number.. That is the surest way to bring it to the attention of one of the Admins.

Upvote 0
EDIT: Hobby Machinist is NOT soliciting for financial information or giving away gifts in exchange for free shipping. Any surveys would be in the form of a poll using the forum software. This is NOT something endorsed by Hobby-Machinist.

Thanks for reporting this. I will put a notice on the main page letting members know not to click through the links if they see something similar. You wouldn't happen to have any screen shots images or anything that you saw on the screen would you?

Upvote 0
OK. Report your post, and in the Reason give the name of the Forum and the thread's Subject and if the post that you replied to wasn't #1, the Post number.. That is the surest way to bring it to the attention of one of the Admins.
I think it was likely somewhere between #3 and #7, but do not remember specifically which one; coincidentally, I was looking on EBay a couple of hours ago, and a similar "survey" with identical items "for free" came up; I have no images of what transpired, and no confirmation of an order was sent, thankfully, the amount was very minor.Thanks much for putting up the warning, that was my aim in reporting this. In case this is something that is in my computer, I am shutting down as you have suggested.

Upvote 0
Back