POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I made a clamp tight type tool. I made a couple mistakes along the way but in the end it turned out OK.

View attachment 411868

I have a question though, how would you hold the handle to drill and tap it? View attachment 411873

This is my setup, but it seems like there should be a better way. It worked fine for drilling but the little v-block clamps sure were in the way when it came time for tapping.

View attachment 411874View attachment 411875
Here's what I was talking about the other day. I had to go to a funeral and with traffic it turned into an all day thing. So I am finally getting a chance to respond with pics. Either way works well. Even sticking out and supporting it with a jack..
20220629_201645.jpg20220629_201621.jpg

Maybe not today, but in the last few days.

Put a pair of new doors on a 2011 fusion for the kid to start driving. Was wrecked, and doors took 95% of the damage. Little fender work needed. So ordered a few body hammers and dollies, and stud welder. Figure those will get used for the '57 chevy 2-door project coming up.

Then refinished a table the kids had destroyed over the last 10-12 years. That was only about 6 hours of sanding, followed by trying to match 20 year old stain. 4 Good coats of poly should slow down the future damage...

Made a new handle for the dust collector. Stupid plastic parts, so the replacement is steel. Which gave a chance to try out the new gas lens kit for the No. 9 tig torch. The welds aren't the prettiest, but are solid enough. Small parts aren't super easy to weld, but much easer than MIG! Next the handle should get some paint, and get installed permanently.

Next on the list is redoing the driveway, and spreading a umpteen yards of topsoil where the grass hasn't been growing...

Oh, and gotta start getting the old sheldon lathe out of the basement. It's finally going in for a rebuild in mid July. Probably be back in Oct/Nov. Not sure i'll survive that long without it!

It's summer up here, so not much time to spend on the 'puter... lol.

Handle1.jpgHandle2.jpgRefinish.jpg

Here's what I was talking about the other day. I had to go to a funeral and with traffic it turned into an all day thing. So I am finally getting a chance to respond with pics. Either way works well. Even sticking out and supporting it with a jack..
View attachment 412042View attachment 412043

Thanks for the photos, that would have worked just fine. Good idea.

Today was an interesting day with a different start. I got woken up by my phone my brother yaling flood flood. The up steers from my big garage got flooded. Water line going to a faucet blow and flooded the entire floor with a foot of water. So i went there, shut down the power went in and turn off the water. Went down to the garage to get my 12v pumps and the garage is also flooded, every hole where pipe is going thru the floor was leaking. Set up the pumps brought up couple of car batteries to power them, and dealt with most of the water. Before taking off to go to work, i did leave the windows open in the garage. After a 12 hour shift i come and most of the water was gone just some of the lower areas needed to be pumped out, which i did but i'll leave the power off in the garage because couple of the panels are still wet. Funny enough, i did wash the Little Niva and pulled it in the garage so it wont get dirty by the rain and still got dirty water all over it.
IMG_20220614_180623.jpgIMG_20220614_180609.jpgIMG_20220614_180627.jpg

Yeah i hate it too, all my tools are wet, and i hate moisture, on the bright side its a solid concrete garage it will dry out, i just hope most of my electric tools still work.
the bearings will take a hit.
see if you can wd 40 them, then put a drop or 2 of oil in them. it will prevent them from rusting if you beat the rust. don't worry about greasing them, just get wd to force the moisture out of the bearings, then oil. you can figure out long term later.

same with air tools.. wd40, then flood with oil, then air.

my son was over a few weeks ago with the baby, he saw a bunch of hockey pucks, asked if he could have them (he plays) for practice. I said yep, I got them for you at a garage sale. Figured you could use them... Didn't know my rubber bench block was in that bunch.

So I made a new one from the 2 remaining pucks I had.
nothing special.. the white marks are from being stupid and forgetting how to use my PCD function... kept putting the holes where I didn't want them... I swear a mind is a terrible thing to waste, or go to waste.
20220702_155249.jpg

my son was over a few weeks ago with the baby, he saw a bunch of hockey pucks, asked if he could have them (he plays) for practice. I said yep, I got them for you at a garage sale. Figured you could use them... Didn't know my rubber bench block was in that bunch.

So I made a new one from the 2 remaining pucks I had.
nothing special.. the white marks are from being stupid and forgetting how to use my PCD function... kept putting the holes where I didn't want them... I swear a mind is a terrible thing to waste, or go to waste.
View attachment 412349
I just got 10 that someone gave me… this is a great idea…

Any details on what I need to do? Or these are just random holes? What size is the cut in the center?

I just got 10 that someone gave me… this is a great idea…

Any details on what I need to do? Or these are just random holes? What size is the cut in the center?
I just made different sizes, I think 1/2, then whatever the clearance holes are for 3/8 , 5/16 and 1/4..
I just grabbed them from my tapping index.

edit: did I mention the hours of searching for my old rubber block... before I figured out what might have happened and gave him a call.. :rolleyes:

Back