POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Apparently, the Weld Mold 958 has been used on the business end of mower blades. I think they recommend against this, for fear of it flying off. However, I doubt that would be worse than all the rock we have around here, so this summer might give that a try.

The metallurgy of nickel is special. Nickel is highly ductile, and diffuses into the metal matrix under heat OR pressure (try to separate the nickel from the copper core of a coin- can't be done, the metals have blended, and that's ONLY the result of pressure. In a weld pool or in a coalescing flux of molten powder being applied under red heat, nothing will fly apart- . The original blade structure is unchanged and unaltered, the heat only anneals (hardness is not necessary for the blade anymore, the hardness is covered by the 65 HRC spray coating). Nothing will fly apart.

This is how hammer mills and rock crushers are treated. None of that stuff flies apart destructively as a result of this treatment. The treatment was developed for those applications. Think about it! Don't let internet ignorance tell you that tried and true engineering is something dangerous our scary. Those people have no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about, they just react to their own pangs of false information and propagate it. The information is out there in the commercial/industrial trade and academic literature, fact check that **** and grow your knowledge and capability.

My buddy Jack just finished (1) torch cutting, (2) side milling, & (3) face milling these mild steel plates. These were mostly covered in stick welding (practice) stringer beads.

There are 68 quantity of these plates. Each is about 5/8” thick, 8” long & 6” wide.

These are going to be plate welding coupons. He still has to side mill one side and bevel the other side of each plate.

4BBF9A9E-F1FE-4045-AEC8-C39D2A7A071B.jpeg

A8E5A2B6-36F4-4E82-B3F4-2EC155370616.jpeg

Another little project off my list - refitting my speed handle for my "new" Kurt. Couple of old roadside find 9/16" sockets cut to length and tidied up, new holes bored to size and then pressed in
IMG20230305145351.jpg
Finished effort, with the old 12mm inserts
IMG20230305153222.jpg

The metallurgy of nickel is special. Nickel is highly ductile, and diffuses into the metal matrix under heat OR pressure (try to separate the nickel from the copper core of a coin- can't be done, the metals have blended, and that's ONLY the result of pressure. In a weld pool or in a coalescing flux of molten powder being applied under red heat, nothing will fly apart- . The original blade structure is unchanged and unaltered, the heat only anneals (hardness is not necessary for the blade anymore, the hardness is covered by the 65 HRC spray coating). Nothing will fly apart.
Yes, I'd love to have one of them fancy spray coaters. It would be handy for all sorts of things, but it's probably something I really don't need right now.

I was talking about the WeldMold. This is a TIG tool steel rod, and the intent is for repairing hot working dies, etc. When hard facing something with it the idea is not to mix the base material and tool steel, that is you don't want to dilute the tool steel with the base. Similar, but not exactly like TIG brazing. Obviously, poor weld quality could lead to delamination, and a little chunk of tool steel flying across the yard. (Again, not too different from the rocks I hit all the time!). They advise not do mower blades, probably because their lawyers tell them to.

Think about it! Don't let internet ignorance tell you that tried and true engineering is something dangerous our scary. Those people have no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about, they just react to their own pangs of false information and propagate it. The information is out there in the commercial/industrial trade and academic literature, fact check that **** and grow your knowledge and capability.
There's misinformation out there everywhere. But some of the caution stems from 'don't try this at home', where some people may not have the skill/tools/knowledge to do something properly. Obviously many of us know what's safe and what's not, but this is our hobby so our peers here are on a somewhat different level. Watch some "Just Rolled In" mechanics clips on youtube, there's a lot of examples of 'don't try this at home'...

Yes, I'd love to have one of them fancy spray coaters. It would be handy for all sorts of things, but it's probably something I really don't need right now.

I was talking about the WeldMold. This is a TIG tool steel rod, and the intent is for repairing hot working dies, etc. When hard facing something with it the idea is not to mix the base material and tool steel, that is you don't want to dilute the tool steel with the base. Similar, but not exactly like TIG brazing. Obviously, poor weld quality could lead to delamination, and a little chunk of tool steel flying across the yard. (Again, not too different from the rocks I hit all the time!). They advise not do mower blades, probably because their lawyers tell them to.

There's misinformation out there everywhere. But some of the caution stems from 'don't try this at home', where some people may not have the skill/tools/knowledge to do something properly. Obviously many of us know what's safe and what's not, but this is our hobby so our peers here are on a somewhat different level. Watch some "Just Rolled In" mechanics clips on youtube, there's a lot of examples of 'don't try this at home'...
There's nothing fancy about a powder torch, it's cheap old tech. But you are correct, it is a different process than TIG tool steel (I don't consider TIG a hardfacing process in any normal sense). And one should always take education upon themselves, without understanding what we are doing, we are just a pool of infinite monkeys with typewriters.

So are you saying that tools is not what differentiate us from monkeys!!!??

Back