POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@Firstram

Your wind spinner is spectacular.
Did you cut and shape all the wood pieces?

@Firstram

Your wind spinner is spectacular.
Did you cut and shape all the wood pieces?
Thanks, I did. They all started out at 7/16" x 2" with a 1/2" hole in the center for the SS rod. Once the profile was cut to shape I fanned out the spiral and tightened the bottom nut. From there I ground the slats smooth with 24 grit disc on a spiral cool backer using a 4.5" grinder, respirator required!

Today i changed the wiper motor on the little niva, this time i had to fix the mechanism and modify the holder, i installed motor from a peugeot 306. It is a much stronger motor and has 2 speeds, i much needed upgrade the russian motor won't reliable. Then I pick up a friend who is a crime lab tech he suggested to check the army show on a nearby airport, his badge got the little niva pass the first gate and we parked next to the tarmac. At the show there were lots of Humvees, Oshkosh trucks and other trucks and vehicles but the main attraction wore the choppers. AH-64 Apache, UH-60 Black Hawk, CH-47 Hercules. That i've seen and smell leaking kerosine at the rear load gate, all the soldiers in brown uniforms were US soldiers, i ask the soldier standing there " do you see you've leaking kerosine" he responded no its probibly water or oil, i told him i know the smell of kerosine. He went inside and come out with what later i found out is an engineer, who touch the leaking fluid and said out loud he is right its fuel. Introduced himself to me, and proceed to open couple of panels and at the top one we both seen drop from one of the hoses. He grab the collar nut and by hand it turn. I ask him can you tighten it, he responded i don't have tools. I ask him was size is it 3/4, quick math in my head that is 19mm i told him i have a 19mm in my car over there. Another soldier from the other side interrupted can you bring it, sure can some one come with me i don't want to get tackle to the ground for carrying a toolbox across the airfield. They looked at each other and one said yeah that'll probably happen, the engineer said bring you car around, so he and one more together with me and my friend got the little niva, past the big gate on the tarmac, those soldiers can run i was in low gear and had to give it gas to keep up with him. Park it next to the hercules open the trunk and my tool box and stood aside. Soldiers from other vehicles started to come, a bright orange Lada next to their aircraft seems to attract them. One reacted a bit rudely but i keep my cool, not sure what trigger him the russian vehicle, me talking to the tall blonde female soldier or the 50 liter propane tank in the trunk of the little niva few feet from their chopper. The engineer tighten it then started some pumps checked, it was fixed, thanked me and i drove the little niva back pass the big gate, parked it by the time i walk back they started to firing the choppers one by one, 20 min of warm up and they fly off. I'm not that familiar with military vehicles or aircraft but i do appreciate any machine that is that complexed and so overbuilt.
IMG_20230513_130310.jpgIMG_20230521_131547.jpgIMG_20230521_135733.jpgIMG_20230521_131926.jpgIMG_20230521_132036.jpgIMG_20230521_135336_1.jpgIMG_20230521_133009.jpgIMG_20230521_133240.jpgIMG_20230521_134700_1.jpgIMG_20230521_132231.jpgIMG_20230521_132310.jpgIMG_20230521_132619.jpg

Thanks, I did. They all started out at 7/16" x 2" with a 1/2" hole in the center for the SS rod. Once the profile was cut to shape I fanned out the spiral and tightened the bottom nut. From there I ground the slats smooth with 24 grit disc on a spiral cool backer using a 4.5" grinder, respirator required!
Thanks for the details.
It's not articulate, but the word that comes to mind is Wow! :clapping:

Nice simple afternoon project:

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3099.jpeg

its just a simple holder for a piece of MrClean Magic Eraser.

The ME is used to clean the stylus after playing a record.

Its hard to beat a ME for cleaning residue off the stylus. You just position it under the stylus and “dunk it” several times. The ME scrapes the vinyl residue off (and other nastiness that collects on the stylus) and gives you a fresh clean stylus for the next lp.

I’ve seen it work. I use a 100x magnifier and the stylus is pretty gross after playing a couple records that haven’t been ultrasonic cleaned. Couple dips and the stylus is factory fresh again. Simple, but effective.

I wanted a holder of some sort to keep dust off the ME, but more about having a nice convenient way to position the ME under the stylus. Most people stick the ME to a toothpick or similar, but that just seemed too “bush league” for me and this was a nice, simple project on a rainy afternoon.

Next up is to make some kind of “cutter” to punch out a nice round piece of ME that will fit the holder without having the “scrunch“ the ME up to fit the holder. ME doesn’t cut well with scissors….

Last edited:
I dunno, Matt, you can still degrease and pressure wash that engine so you can see where the leaks are and aren't coming from. Sorry, pet peeve of mine that runs strong. I won't touch a nasty undercarriage or engine with a wrench. That got old back when I was a teenager. I pressure wash everything with each oil change, it makes life a lot easier for you and whoever does your troubleshooting and mechanic-ing.

Ford better fully degrease and pressure wash my Expedition. Factory recall on a valve problem last year and the engine has been leaking oil ever since. The most recent explanation (from the service manager, now that I threatened to sue) is a cracked valve cover. Waiting weeks for the cover, should be in this week, they have a lot of cleaning to do afterwards.

Back