POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I was on another tangent and did some research on cavitation corrosion. For an unrelated reason, I was thinking about the metallurgical solutions my dad helped advise for cavitation corrosion in hydroelectric impellers, and did some reading. The mechanism of wear is the same in ultrasonic cleaning. It's the collapse of the vapor bubble that does the cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner, it's also the same thing that causes corrosion in boat propellers. Under extreme, continuous cavitation for many thousands of hours, the metal does eventually show wear. I don't think that's an issue for bearings in a cleaner, but there's a second effect, the micro vibrations may hammer the bearings against the races in a microscopic sense. I'm convinced that this is a non-issue for a cycle or three at 20/mins per go. I appreciate the chance to refresh my memory, though!
I had a great industrial ultrasonic cleaner I used in my kart racing business. I never considered this, however since then I’ve see the results on marine props.

But, when I think of it I almost always installed new bearings when rebuilding race motors.

Pretty sure @pontiac428 would be doing so too if he could find them.

Hopefully this application is a little less critical than either the kart engines or racing skates….

John

Worked on the backsplash for the Clausing this afternoon.
Got the Z axis scale cover on first.
303d101341494cf97e866df6696709b6.jpg

Then cut a length of angle iron to span the opening over the chip tray.
Bent the stainless that I didn’t sell with the Myford.
21” of 3/64 stainless is about the practical limit of my little 24” brake.
Next task is to make a steel frame from 1” square tube to support the whole shebang.
4a5dcf8bf7e7e94b8ff39dc41c5de070.jpg

Last edited:
Did you design it as a set true chuck or am I mistaken? It's beautiful work by the way.
I did intend for it to be a set true chuck from the beginning, but really that's just four radial screws, slightly sloppier than usual mounting screw holes and a smaller than usual spigot to locate the chuck. Thanks for the props!

Be nice if I could stay focused
Today is get the press back together day and have one less thing apart
Greenerd #2
0E2DB028-B4C7-4905-95A6-21A3C15301AF.jpeg
Lightly used and one of my better used purchases (as far as in need of Cleaning and repair)
1BAFAB97-3144-44A9-BDDE-73D61FACCF77.jpeg
77D530D6-2F2F-4DA0-92C5-89624BDB8EEF.jpeg

0107F905-8332-4701-A85A-6DD6A8AC1A44.jpeg

Back