POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Picked up this old Champion compressor a few weeks ago for $300. Gave it a good cleaning, and put some power to it. It fired right up, but the motor was making some noise, and when run up to 150 psi it was leaking down. Pulled the motor down first and cleaned every thing up. It had odd two piece, sleeve type bearings I haven't run across before. There was a small open hole in the end cover on the output side of the motor, so I used a needle attachment and pumped some grease into it until it was coming out clean on the back side of the bearing. The other end had no provision for grease, so I drilled a hole in the same position as the one on the other end, and greased it in the same fashion as the other side, and reassembled the motor. Next I pulled the first and second stage air lines, and the inlet and outlet heads, and valve assembly's and lapped them in. The exhaust valve disk on the second stage exhaust was badly corroded so I picked up a few stainless fender washers, and made several different arbors to bore, turn, and face the washer to the dimensions of the original. Trashed one in the process and made another. Was going to call it good at this point, but then decided as long as I was this far I would pull the cylinder assembly, and check the bores. Ran a hone through both cylinders just enough to restore the cross-hatch, made a new base gasket, and slapped it back together with the original rings. Let it run for half an hour under no load to let it break in. The motor quieted down after a few minutes of run time. Closed the outlet valve, and let it build up to 150 psi from zero several times. No oil, or air leaks, and the next morning it was still right at 150, so going to call this one a win. Mike

IMG_20230526_115353659_HDR.jpgIMG_20230519_124215751_HDR.jpgIMG_20230519_124224656_HDR.jpgIMG_20230525_134659356_HDR.jpgIMG_20230525_152629036_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Minor and easy stuff... made some spacers for the motorcycle. Then wrapped them with some carbon fiber wrap that I have had for over 5 years tucked away on a shelf...

IMG_1327.jpeg

LED-6.jpg
LED-5.jpg

And then headed out this past weekend to meet up with friends in Grayson, Georgia to ride the Smokey Mountains 500. Only did one of three segments but it was so much fun. We had a blast.

Only got to do the red segment from this map

SM500 map.jpeg

But that was enough for an epic weekend. Will be back at another time to ride the rest... Here is me crossing the Tallauhal river. First time going off-road on a motorcycle!!

IMG_6111.jpeg

And to celebrate... had one beer at the local brewery...

Made it so a beer to celebrate.jpg

Last edited:
Anyhow. I am down to 4 weeks before I find myself unemployed. I finished the last job last week. I have another week maybe 2 before they remove the machines.

So I decided to draw up some replacement knobs for my old Delta Band saw. None are matched. So I am making some Aluminum replacements.
c45cb8e0ccd19175347c9f62a35b6c82.jpg

fa9b9335f0e8a0a9740aeab10a0eec1a.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Very sorry to read about your job situation.

It kind of sucks. Been there 19 years. I did get a lead this afternoon for a possible second interview with another company. There is a big gap in pay. Over 30% less. Hopefully they can close that gap some. I also sent out 10 resumes yesterday.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back