POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

What sort of witchcraft is that, Matt? You stick a straight flute tap in a plain collet, chucked into the mill, and the next pic is finished threads. What really happened between the two photos? Did you swap in a Tapmatic or a tapping clutch, or did you maybe type G84 into your keypad?

What sort of witchcraft is that, Matt? You stick a straight flute tap in a plain collet, chucked into the mill, and the next pic is finished threads. What really happened between the two photos? Did you swap in a Tapmatic or a tapping clutch, or did you maybe type G84 into your keypad?
No magic, more a trick of the light. It's a weird Guhring slow spiral flute spiral point tap
IMG20230620183314.jpgIMG20230620183319.jpg
The other one was a standard spiral point M5 tap. Forward at ~150 rpm with a hand on the f/r switch. Turn it off just after the point breaks through so the coast down takes it to full thread (and not into the dividing head), then reverse. Works great in steel and alu, currently at a 75% success rate in case iron :D

Oh and I can type G84 into my phone all day and nothing happens...

Back working with dead trees. Sawed the timbers last week, now making an Ikea veranda, some assembly required.

IMG_2023-06-20_19-52-02.jpeg

Had finally got the last of the shavings out from under this and that, now I can start over lol

Greg

So you actually did an analog G84. I think my knutz are little fuzzies compared to yours!

He’s gone rogue I says. Straight up rogue. If I had tried that my bunghole would be biting buttonholes in my tighty whities.
Really guys it's not that big of a deal. I'm way down at the bottom of the torque curve of my DC motor and you can tell by ear when the tap is starting to go full thread, so no chomping of tightiwhities involved. The only screw up was that 3/8-16 tap spinning in cast iron, first time that's happened to me, though I don't do much work with cast iron (thankfully).

You can always do what Curtis on Cutting Edge Engineering does and switch off the motor when the tap enters the hole. The coast down/ inertia will allow the tap to cut a few threads nice and straight, then you undo the chuck, raise the spindle and finish the thread by hand with a tap wrench. I've snapped a few taps hand tapping, but never once (touch wood) power tapping.

With renewed enthusiasm and vigor the work to have functional lathe continues.
Cross member removed and cleaning started, ways are in okay shape. Will touch up with some very light stone work, see if I can figure out the shimming and if it needs to be adjusted.
36B24C9F-8893-4FF0-84AD-C20D2ECCD99A.jpeg

looking a little bare now. Hopefully won't run into any major obstacles for a few days
3DADB9D7-8B03-4150-8F2A-1580318545C5.jpeg

Back