POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

well the goal was to see if what I had would work. I didn't consider these electronic solders. What would they be used for? not rosin cored? I don't think the flux is acid.. I used to think that. But something I read at Harris kind of changed that for me a while back. I don't remember what it was.
Clarification: I'm a BIG TIME solder geek. Don't ask... ;)

Zinc chloride is common acid flux.

There are hundreds of solder alloys. There are some that are more common than most. The solder metal can be used for more than just one type of thing (HVAC, Mechanical, Electronics, etc.). The flux used will typically vary with each application. Rosin based Fluxes are typically used for electronics ( there are different varieties of flux in this class also). Acid based fluxes are more often used for HVAC and mechanical purposes.

Most people think of electronics solder as the old school leaded solder, typically 63Pb37Sn, 60Pb40sn, etc. Those melted at around 183C, but are pretty much obsolete (unless you are military/aerospace, etc.). These were replaced with lead free solders that melt ~220C. Typically silver bearing solders Sn96Ag4, Sn96.3Ag3.7, and SAC 305 (Sn96.5Ag3Cu0.5). SAC305 is very common now.

In your case, my guess is this kit is for HVAC or similar. HVAC typically being copper to copper it would work well. It would also work well for repairing mechanical items, or even jewelry. The exact same alloy is available in rosin cored wire for electronics. You could use yours for electronics with a different flux.

Anyway, keep in mind that if the cutting tool gets hot you'll loose strength. If you start smoking cutting oil (150C???), you're probably close to popping the solder off. If that happens, something like the Harris Safety Silv 45 would be good.

FYI, I've used Harris0, phos-copper in a pinch. Not ideal but seems to work. Lots cheaper than the 45% silver brazing material!

Unfortunately, the local Lowes does not do project cuttings... only two cuts per piece...

Didn’t think policies like this were local: HD used to say max 2 cuts, but Lowes was always as many as you need (although that may only apply to plywood and other sheet goods).

OT: HD is now offering high quality plywood custom cuts directly from the manufacturer, with free shipping and at a reasonable cost.

no, more like I'm interested in seeing that jig top. Who doesn't like seeing bling like that?
Hard coat anodized . I had it up here for sale for quite awhile . No takers and it's all moved in now . :encourage:

Got reacquainted with my 20± yo Craftsman "Industrial angle grinder and "made" an 8" x 12" x 3/8" bench plate:

Bench Plate_Radiant.jpg
Broke the edges on the "bottom," beveled the edges & rounded the corners on the "top," then wire brushed the loose scale an minor surface rust away. This will get the Johnson Paste Wax treatment then live on my tall bench and serve as a base for magnetic magnifiers and an all-around HD work surface.

In the process I was reminded of high school physics (precession: my wrists got a nice workout).

Didn’t think policies like this were local: HD used to say max 2 cuts, but Lowes was always as many as you need (although that may only apply to plywood and other sheet goods).

OT: HD is now offering high quality plywood custom cuts directly from the manufacturer, with free shipping and at a reasonable cost.

The guy was telling me that a few customers would have pieces cut and then complain and return them or just leave them there... so they stopped doing that. I will miss it as they even cut the 8' butcher block I bought from them, in three sections... no issues.

Anyway... an update...

Base is bolted and glued together...

IMG_2211.jpeg

IMG_2218.jpeg

This toolbox is done... all the felt installed. drawers have it in all faces. On the top, I only installed it on the bottom. No plans to do anything to the outside as I do not want to disturb any of the markings and names from previous owners.

IMG_2220.jpeg

IMG_2219.jpeg

And just for laughs... I drilled the holes to secure the base for the vise. 4" deep... and figured, to make sure it is a stronger installation, that I would also use epoxy.

IMG_2205.jpeg

Well... in the seconds that it took me pouring the epoxy into the holes, grab the bolts, move the base in place.... guess what!!?? The epoxy had harden! Son of a gun!

IMG_2215.jpeg

When the label reads "Fast Cure", they were not kidding!!

IMG_2214.jpeg

So I get to drill all that out and install without it...

Back