POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Read up on noise problems with that aluminum scale era cheap magnetic digital scale. Plenty of people talk about fixes that have worked for them. Isolating them from the machines seems to work for me. If it goes back to glitchyness, it's going to get replaced. I have tried what I am willing to do to fix it. Like I said though, this scales twin has worked all over the shop in different mounts made of that grey plastic. In fact, I carved those two pictured mounts out of a block used to adapt a Z axis dro when I first got the 12x36 going. The slot in one block hides the remnants of a two hole pattern. The other one still has two threaded holes in it. I did mention frugal didn't I?
Here is a discussion of common problems that have been identified with the older (Aluminum) iGaging Scales either when used with TouchDRO or with the factory readouts. When I first added my TouchDRO to my iGaging Absolute SS scales, I communicated with @ycroosh and he recommended not doing anything special unless I already had issues with the factory readouts. The scales on my Mini-Mill haven’t had any issues.

I do recall reading several reports of the Aluminum scales having issues with the stamped factory mounts, and that the problems went away when machined Aluminum brackets were used. @LEEQ ’s fix may have also worked with Aluminum brackets instead of insulating ones, but the important thing is that they now work.

Those blocks are looking sharp. Are you going to heat treat and grind them in?

Started making some set up blocks on the weekend. They are 2” x 6” x 9” I squared up both blocks on the mill. I got a 10” face mill when I bought the machine. Cuts wonderfully. I drilled and taped 8holes-3/4”-10 and 4 holes 5/8-11. I still need to drill and tap the second block.
Martin
Those are massive! Love it!

I'm green with envy. I long for the day I can finish grind my efforts. I'm looking forward to seeing them done.

Help

i got a Baldor 33-3059W motor from a tread
with controller BBD01-15-00
does anyone know how to wire the controller.
I have the harness to the motor.
I need to make the power speed connections

I had a woodworking glue up on my bench, so I went and quickly whipped out this that I have wanted for about 2 years.
I only get 2 edges on a dcmt out of 4 possible.

So I made this up from an old brazed on shank.. cut the carbide off, and layed out the pattern. I have to open the hole it looks weird, but it was while filing and deburring the edges. It's rough, not pretty, but it works.
PXL_20230824_023126167.jpgPXL_20230824_023138307.jpgPXL_20230824_023158782.jpg

I recently purchased a fairly new Delta jointer from an auction and it had a broken lever that unlocks the adjustment for the table height. It was made from some sort of light cast metal, so welding wasn't an option for me. I made one this evening from a piece of 2" box steel. Hopefully the photos will explain the process. Finished product is now painted and will be installed tomorrow.
Jack
1-IMG_6894.jpg1-IMG_6895.jpg1-IMG_6896.jpg1-IMG_6899.jpg

I recently purchased a fairly new Delta jointer from an auction and it had a broken lever that unlocks the adjustment for the table height. It was made from some sort of light cast metal, so welding wasn't an option for me. I made one this evening from a piece of 2" box steel. Hopefully the photos will explain the process. Finished product is now painted and will be installed tomorrow.
Jack
View attachment 457876View attachment 457877View attachment 457878View attachment 457879
nice, that part is what got me into machining. Not available anymore.. And I realized I have many pieces of Delta equip that were not going to have parts when Delta went out of business. Yes they were bought, but many items are not being made, and parts don't exist.

Back