POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Halonen racing sticker made me laugh! My car insurance guy for the last 30 years is a Halonen. He's certainly not someone who would race a car.

I'm sure the name is pretty common there. It's also very common here as we have a lot of Finnish families here. I'm from one too...
Haha :congratulate: Who knows, maybe he is a relative of mine.

Let me take a guess based on your nickname, Kemppainen?

Experimenting with 3DP ducted fans... I'm at rotor version AJ... resetting with 150mm OD.
Slow pokes here, only 10,000 rpm
My record is 12 ounces at 20 Amps. I want MORE! Mwah, ha, ha!!!
97d636262985b477cc13b6b40e6ce937.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Shipping has gone up a lot but that is gouging! I suppose if there were enough interest someone here could buy a bunch and redistribute. Sending 4 pucks in an envelope USPS should be about $6 to most of the country.
Any members in Buffalo?

Huge shout out to @brino , great bender of the north. Thanks to Brino, I was able to skip thinking completely this weekend and do some recreational machining and adult beverage consuming. His vise flavored metal bender works wonderfully. Following his expert tutelage I copied his design with parts laying around the shop.
IMG_0523.jpg
The only items purchased were the 3 shcs that were 12mm metric. The bearings I had on hand were just slightly too small for my 1/2" bolts. The drive nut is a beat up flange nut from a 5/8" t-slot clamp set. The drive roller is 4140 cold drawn and I have no idea what the jaw material is but it is a 3/4" square drop I picked up from the local steel yard. The bearings are cheesy Amazon buys, I always buy 10 packs even if I need just one. I had to turn the knurling off the shcs on the drive side. I originally had some 80mm length screws that the heads were not knurled and bored the drive nut to match them. I had to go to 100mm on the drive side and the 100's were knurled and didn't quite fit. I thought it easier to turn off the knurling than further open that nasty flange nut. I also added bearings under the drive roller thinking it might make turning easier. Overkill I am sure as it took very little torque to rotate material through the setup.
IMG_0524.jpg
The mission: My game feeder has been ransacked nightly by coons. Here is a pic from last week.
PICT0499_202310211302wztY0.jpg
The design of the feeder leaves corn between the two barrels that the deer cant get to so that is low hanging fruit for the coons. Im OK with that but it seems like they are able to reach far enough between the barrels to get to the source. Don't blame them for that either. Since there is an endless supply of coons in the area, keeping them out is only real option. Using Brino's design I was able to quickly make a metal bar that sits half way in the opening between the barrels. It also sticks out about a 1.5" from the barrels. This cuts the opening size in half and pushes the coons further away from the source. Coons will still get a few grains around the edges which I welcome.
IMG_0525.jpg
Now everyone is happy and I am not a mass murderer.........er.

Thanks BRINO! Your design is well thought out. I think that before I turn more round bar, I might put oversized washers between the bearings to act as guides. Starting with 7' of round rod is about as much as I could control. And now I know my vise needs more room...............

Oh yes, don't knowbody tell your significant others that you can make perfect circles. My wife caught me in the act and now the request are pouring in.

Huge shout out to @brino , great bender of the north. Thanks to Brino, I was able to skip thinking completely this weekend and do some recreational machining and adult beverage consuming. His vise flavored metal bender works wonderfully. Following his expert tutelage I copied his design with parts laying around the shop.
View attachment 463545
The only items purchased were the 3 shcs that were 12mm metric. The bearings I had on hand were just slightly too small for my 1/2" bolts. The drive nut is a beat up flange nut from a 5/8" t-slot clamp set. The drive roller is 4140 cold drawn and I have no idea what the jaw material is but it is a 3/4" square drop I picked up from the local steel yard. The bearings are cheesy Amazon buys, I always buy 10 packs even if I need just one. I had to turn the knurling off the shcs on the drive side. I originally had some 80mm length screws that the heads were not knurled and bored the drive nut to match them. I had to go to 100mm on the drive side and the 100's were knurled and didn't quite fit. I thought it easier to turn off the knurling than further open that nasty flange nut. I also added bearings under the drive roller thinking it might make turning easier. Overkill I am sure as it took very little torque to rotate material through the setup.
View attachment 463547
The mission: My game feeder has been ransacked nightly by coons. Here is a pic from last week.
View attachment 463549
The design of the feeder leaves corn between the two barrels that the deer cant get to so that is low hanging fruit for the coons. Im OK with that but it seems like they are able to reach far enough between the barrels to get to the source. Don't blame them for that either. Since there is an endless supply of coons in the area, keeping them out is only real option. Using Brino's design I was able to quickly make a metal bar that sits half way in the opening between the barrels. It also sticks out about a 1.5" from the barrels. This cuts the opening size in half and pushes the coons further away from the source. Coons will still get a few grains around the edges which I welcome.
View attachment 463548
Now everyone is happy and I am not a mass murderer.........er.

Thanks BRINO! Your design is well thought out. I think that before I turn more round bar, I might put oversized washers between the bearings to act as guides. Starting with 7' of round rod is about as much as I could control. And now I know my vise needs more room...............

Oh yes, don't knowbody tell your significant others that you can make perfect circles. My wife caught me in the act and now the request are pouring in.

You mean that's not the "game" you were wanting to feed????

Only thing I would do differently is to use a cheaper vise. I don't know how much force you're putting on it but I've had vises let go dramatically when using for non-standard applications.

John

You mean that's not the "game" you were wanting to feed????

Only thing I would do differently is to use a cheaper vise. I don't know how much force you're putting on it but I've had vises let go dramatically when using for non-standard applications.

John
I hear you John. I have a cheaper vise it will ultimately go on. The force needed to bend what I was bending is so unbelievably lite that the weight of the handle was too much in some instances. I had to balance the handle to keep it from falling over and over tightening. Everything was that way. I was even just pushing and pulling the stock through by hand (without the wrench) once I got started, and it pulled through very easy.

Today i spent some time in the big garage prepping and painting the winter wheels for the station wagon. Couple of weeks ago i pressure wash them, but today i did some more preps. Started with marking and removing the balance weights, then every wheel got two passes with wire brush inside and out, valve stems got masked then i apply anti rust acid left it to work. After lunch i mounted the wheels one by one on a spindle and wheel turning i spray them with 2K paint. I did not mask the tires bscouse from experience that paint will peel in a day's of driving. I also need to sand down and re paint two wheel covers but there is not enough hours in a day.
IMG_20231021_201858.jpgIMG_20231021_201908.jpg

The latest project is one that comes around every fall. In this case it isn't a shop project, but rather a daily/weekly/ and often a month-long endeavor. I'm sure most of you already know what I'm referring to. YARD WORK which at this time of year means collecting and hauling off tons and tons of leaves.

This afternoon I hauled 2 loads to the recycle station. That makes a total of 7 loads so far, and only about 40% of the leaves are down. It looks like it's going to be a banner year with close to 20 loads before we're done. I used to love looking forward to the cooler months, but never really cared for the hours of work it took to get ready for winter. Lately it's becoming a huge PITA.

Here's a picture of the last load just before heading to the recycle station. As soon as the project is finished the trailer is going into the shop for new springs and shackles. It's gone through a couple sets of tires because whoever made the trailer put the springs on the left side 1" ahead of the ones on the right. The axles had to be moved 1" to the rear and blocked in place on the left side to get even wear on the tires.

Along with replacing the springs and shackles the fenders will also have to be moved. For some reason the builder put 25 1/4" springs on the rear axle and 26 1/2" springs on the front axle. The new springs are all 25 1/4"

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 20
First thing I've ever made on a mill: the worlds most expensive and imperfect t-nuts! Many lessons learned. Now I can unjam the Allen keys I had to hurry rig in the slots to lock the only bolts I could find that for me this far.

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_221956485.jpg
    PXL_20231023_221956485.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20231023_222207216.jpg
    PXL_20231023_222207216.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 28
Back