POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Working on the cooler for the air compressor... need to make a trip to Lowes... I bought the wrong size for the copper tubing. Need 3/8" OD copper tubing. I bought 3/8" ID.

I am using material that I had around the house...

View attachment 477897View attachment 477898
View attachment 477899

Flat back spray paint to the rescue... hides my sins...

View attachment 477901View attachment 477900

Installing the cooler...

View attachment 477903View attachment 477902

And the water separator...

View attachment 477905

Will be right back, let me get the correct tubing... I am trying to finish this today.
pipe is sold by ID 3/8 is 3/8 id
tubing is sold by OD 3/8 is 3/8 od.
I don't think you are going to find copper tubing at lowes or hd.

If you mean the silica/water glass, it never goes bad unless it dries out.
I know you probably know this.

But for others here, I'll mention that waterglass doesn't 'dry', it cures. It uses atmospheric CO2, to go through a chemical process to become glass. As purchased from suppliers it can be diluted with water. That is, you can thin it down. That's done with water. For some applications I thin it to 40% water glass and 60% water for deeper penetration in ceramic type substrates. That was the plan for the garage floor.

For anyone who's ever seen metal casting cores made, they mix sand with water glass, and then blow CO2 from a canister into it. It hardens almost instantly, making the core shape for the metal casting.

It's really neat stuff. It's also been used to make paper mailing tubes (you know, the ones that wreck saw blades when you try to cut them!).

It's also the adhesive in some of the super high temperature 'epoxy' type compounds used for sealing exhaust system and other things (probably mixed with metal binders, etc. Don't really know what else they use in them...)

Working on the cooler for the air compressor... need to make a trip to Lowes... I bought the wrong size for the copper tubing. Need 3/8" OD copper tubing. I bought 3/8" ID.

I am using material that I had around the house...

View attachment 477897View attachment 477898
View attachment 477899

Flat back spray paint to the rescue... hides my sins...

View attachment 477901View attachment 477900

Installing the cooler...

View attachment 477903View attachment 477902

And the water separator...

View attachment 477905

Will be right back, let me get the correct tubing... I am trying to finish this today.

Much as I hate to ask, but...........
What side of the compressor are you using that cooler on?

Conventional wisdom is cooler, then drier between compressor head and tank, then drier between tank and supply line.

At least, that is how it was whilst I was in the industry which is, admittedly over 25 years ago and I have forgotten more than I care to remember other than what I need to know to maintain/service my own compressor.

Much as I hate to ask, but...........
What side of the compressor are you using that cooler on?

Conventional wisdom is cooler, then drier between compressor head and tank, then drier between tank and supply line.

At least, that is how it was whilst I was in the industry which is, admittedly over 25 years ago and I have forgotten more than I care to remember other than what I need to know to maintain/service my own compressor.
I am confused... this is what I am doing:

From looking at the photo shared - from compressor head pump exit (top adapter) to cooler (top pipe on cooler) -> from cooler (bottom pipe on cooler) to water separator (left side) -> water separator (right side) to tank.

I also installed an automatic drain on the bottom of the tank.

Well, with no piping fitted, it was an obvious question, at least, to me.

Seen compressor mounted coolers before, mostly always mounted where the fan-pulley (pulley with webs that double as fan blades) blows across it with an electric assist fan to aid air-draw across the cooling element.

Nice to see the dual solution of cooler fan acting as a head fan as well.

Well, with no piping fitted, it was an obvious question, at least, to me.

Seen compressor mounted coolers before, mostly always mounted where the fan-pulley (pulley with webs that double as fan blades) blows across it with an electric assist fan to aid air-draw across the cooling element.

Nice to see the dual solution of cooler fan acting as a head fan as well.
Ah, got it. I went for the least complicated mounting solution with what I had at hand…

@wachuko

I suggest that, in the piping from the heat exchanger to the water separator, you leave a vertical drip leg (with a petcock at bottom) and T off that, into the water separator. I try to leave places for precipitated water to collect out of the primary flow path. I would probably step up the diameter of the drip leg to slow the air velocity and to allow for a greater volume of accumulated water (less frequent draining needed). My $.02

Is that a puller fan? It would be counterproductive to blow hot air toward the compressor head!
I understand your comment, but it's also not ideal to draw air heated by the pump head through the heat exchanger. :dunno:

I suspect (WAG) a pusher fan will do more good than harm and the pump head will benefit from greater overall air flow volume.

@wachuko
If you want to test, run the compressor, from empty tank, with the heat exchange fan off and measure compressor head temperature at auto shut off. Let things cool down, bleed the tank empty and run the cycle again with the fan on. What's the head temp difference (if any)?

Is that a puller fan? It would be counterproductive to blow hot air toward the compressor head!

When pushing cool air through the cooler via a pusher fan, it is cooler than the head, so not only does it act on the cooler, it also acts on the head even with a certain range of increase in air temp based on cooler temp . The fan pulley that works the crankshaft of the compressor head also draws (admittedly low levels of) cool air across the lower body/crank case area which helps aid cooling.

Using a "puller" fan on the cooler would draw air from the head side which would be hotter and, therefore, defeat the purpose of having the fan.

Back