POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

It's slower going up on the Z axis than going down, but I doubt the high $ ones are much different, just a matter of weight being lifted. That being said, I haven't used one on X or Y, but my feeling is they would work just fine. I will be putting them on both the Y axis's on my two vertical mills. Mike

Hey Mike, How do you like the Vevor drive? I am looking for a drive for my X Axis to place on the right hand side of the table.

Last edited:
It's a slower going up on the Z axis than going down, but I doubt the high $ ones are much different, just a matter of weight being lifted. That being said, I haven't used one on X or Y, but my feeling is they would work just fine. I will be putting them on both the Y axis's on my two vertical mills. Mike
I have the Servo Automation unit and it is the same. Faster going down than when going up. All that weight going up impact the speed. But man do I love having it... cranking the handle got old fast...

Finished up the Z axis PF install. After getting every thing back together it occurred to me that as I was in the process of installing the DRO that I might want to be able to use the hand crank for fine movement of the Z. Hasn't been an issue on the BP because I've just been using it for gross up and down. The only hitch is that with the PF installed the shaft is too short to use the handle. So, tear everything apart, machine an extension .100 oversize, and drill it out to 5/16. Then set up the steady rest as the spindle is too small for the shaft to pass through, drill and tap the existing shaft. Bolt the two together, and weld it up. Back to the lathe and turn it down, and Bob's your second cousins, X wife's nephew. Considered putting a spring between the crank and the drive stub to keep it from inadvertently engaging during operation, but tried running it in both directions in rapid, and it stays put at it's furthest point out. Probably not doing to much else for the next month as I'm having cataract surgery on both eye's two weeks apart, and they have a boatload of restrictions during recovery. Mike

487541[/ATTACH]View attachment 487525View attachment 487528View attachment 487532View attachment 487533View attachment 487534
You'll be able to machine probably. I had both eyes done. You can't bang your head, or get anything in the eye. But good safety glasses and a shield should be enough. I was amazed how much better I could see. I spent a lot of time outdoors and also looking at the sky sometimes at the sun as my Gliders would pass it.. you go where the thermals are, and sometimes while coming home, you have to take a route you don't want to. Green air is important when competing.

You'll be able to machine probably. I had both eyes done. You can't bang your head, or get anything in the eye. But good safety glasses and a shield should be enough. I was amazed how much better I could see. I spent a lot of time outdoors and also looking at the sky sometimes at the sun as my Gliders would pass it.. you go where the thermals are, and sometimes while coming home, you have to take a route you don't want to. Green air is important when competing.
Are you flying RC sail planes?

Used the hydraulic press to press the half round shafts into the pockets on the roller brackets, or whatever I should call them. Then measured the seated height of the roller surface off of the bracket surface. +/- couple thou, good enough for who it's for! Taking the average of all 8 rollers, used that in a crude cad model to calculate the pocket depth required.

NotMuch.jpg

These roller brackets will sit on the outside of a square tube that isn't perfectly parallel. But the roller to roller surface needs should be the same for all pairs, and centered in the tube. So the pocket depth should vary slightly to account for the outer square tube dimensions. 8 pockets need to be milled, but only three different pocket depths. Kinds splitting hairs here, but it should be easy enough to measure the depth and hit that pretty close. Or, I might just target the average, and call it a day.

Happily, I did finally have a good excuse to break out the new Mit height gauge. It doesn't get used very often, but sure is handy for something like this!

Back