POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yes, the pan is a bit heavy. I was considering a new version in aluminum, but what really is the advantage of a light dust pan?

The stool is a little tippy too, not for standing on. When sitting on it 12 inches from the ground, with your own feet splayed out, we'll have to see if it's a problem.
you know, it's never a problem to modify something if it doesn't suit your needs... so if it doesn't work, make it work. great job though.

John, I have to ask what happened to the motor.

Ugliest vehicle I've ever owned but dang, I love it. I call mine the toaster. It's black.
The motor had head gasket problems. It started blowing exhaust into the coolant and coolant out the top of the radiator.
I bought the car used, and am not sure the oil was changed very often by the previous owner, plus it has around 200k miles on it.
The "new" motor was from a JDM place about 30 miles from my house. The claim is less than 50k miles on the engine. It sure looks low mileage when putting it together, and adjusting the valves and such. For the $850 I paid for it, I don't think I could have repaired the head any cheaper.
It's running great now.

Technically a two day project but I decided to start making ingots to save space.
I have a bunch of chopped down alloy wheels for future casting projects but they take up tons of space like that... Ingots will be way more space efficient.
Made some molds, the material is thicker than necessary. I think 2mm all around would've been enough.
The walls were too straight and I ended up hammering them out somewhat and only using every second "slot".
IMG_6989.JPG

A bunch of smelting later and the pile is starting to grow.
IMG_7038.JPG
Obligatory 'forbidden soup' video.

I had the same thing. Server issues. I sent an email to
support@hobby- machinist.com

Them folks will have you up and chattering in no time.............
Me, three: multiple platforms (Safari - MBA & iPhone and Firefox; all current updates). Very frustrating.

don't judge me to harshly... I am getting better at sewing.
Some idiot who will remain anonymous mowed over their own volleyball lines yesterday. I thought I was 4 inches away, but the wheel hit the end line and boom, cut right through. I go online and they are asking a lot for new lines, and shipping puts a single set of lines at $80 and amazon wants $100 .. F that.
I had some old webbing from landing tapes I made for US team selections when I was flying F3B and F3J. I took one set of tapes and cut them in half, then sewed them around a ring I had.. total cost nothing, all materials on hand. I really would like to get better at this stuff. I can see making some stuff for machining holders.. out of canvas or leather.
PXL_20230719_174941898.jpg

don't judge me to harshly... I am getting better at sewing.
Looks good, small squares like that can be challenging. Tip: try to hang on to your tails or clip them off as you go, that way you don’t run over them and catch them in the stitch. Worse yet, they get pulled down with the needle and it creates a snarl under the needle plate.

Thread guide plate for Bernina 708.

I don’t know how important this thing is — the machine seems to stitch just fine without it — but I kinda figure if it really wasn’t needed they wouldn’t have put it on. And I don’t know where the original one went, I just bought the machine a few weeks ago and was cleaning it up when I noticed a small screw rolling around in the bottom of the arm. Hmmm, what did this used to do….? Anyway, narrowed it down to the missing thread guide plate and thought I could make one easy enough.

Fortunately it’s the same shuttle assembly as on my 730 so I could sneak in and take measurements from that. And it’s the second time in as many months I’ve used scrap pallet banding as the source material. Dang that stuff is handy!

Anyway, pretty straightforward. Measure, mark, cut with jewellers saw, file to fit. A little Brownell’s Perma Blue took care of the shiny edges. Had to cheat with the screws though, I only found the one stray Bernina screw so had to raid my electronics graveyard for a couple substitutes. They really should be black and not Torx head either, but whatever.

As usual, thanks for looking. :)

1689820614308.jpeg
1689820646928.jpeg

-frank

Back